I survived the great winter 03/04 depression

KLCasualties:
    J'Pol - MIA / internet.news - KIA / Snny - MIA
    Billy_Dean - KIA / <s>fugley - MIA</s> / FuNkY CaPrIcOrN - MIA

Need some time alone?

2. Games   -   #22
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    [i]Originally posted by uNz@23 February 2004 - 10:13
    I was a casualty of the Sega - Nintendo war, and the later Nintendo - PS1 war.
    Those were the golden days of games Master System vs NES, Game Gear vs Game Boy, Mega Drive/Genesis vs Super Nintendo...the Nintendo vs Sega battle was arguably the greatest war in the past 20 years of gaming history (arguable because of the C64 vs Spectrum war) Sometimes, I burn voodoo dolls of SCEE employees as the Playstation did kinda break that one-on-one

Still - I can go from experience after having all three of them (Took about two months of work to get them and the games though ).

The PS2 is decent for entry-level players or now-and-then players; the games are decent for short durations but bar a few exceptions (GTA Vice City) the games on the PS2 become too mass-market for the PS2 to have much reputation as a great console, rather a great mass-market appliance. Course, the upcoming PSX could take that title

The X-Box is a surprisingly well-designed console - I was against it when it came out, but once playing Project Gotham Racing 2 on it I got convinced X-Box has a few holes which can be worked on, but considering PS2&#39;s saturation of some genres it isn&#39;t the end of the world. On an act of redemption, the lack of games in those genres make the few that exist special (e.g. Morrowind and KOTOR for RPGs, PGR2 for racing)

The GameCube is IMO a dark horse - It could be said that the lack of games could be due to lack of development but it can also be because Nintendo want any form of crap in their library. It&#39;s true that they have their "signature" games - Zelda Wink Waker, Mario Sunshine, Smash Bros Melee, Metroid Prime - have been relied on, but the quality of many of them justify that. The GC&#39;s injection of ex-DreamCast games like Sonic Adventure, Skies of Arcadia and Phantasy Star Online has helped the GC in part, but mainly those who didn&#39;t experience them on the DC.

Personally, I believed (and still believe) that the greatest console to date was none of these but is instead the DreamCast. The reason for this is because of its downfall - It wasn&#39;t due to the games (although there were some turkeys in the library) but of the marketing given to it. With its death though, it left in its memory some of the more advanced and enjoyable games of the past decade (remember that the Soul Calibur trilogy was taken from PS1 and re-invigorated by the DreamCast )

3. Games   -   #23
    Debaser
    I also believe that the DC had the most potential of all the consoles, just nobody gave it a chance, can&#39;t say I really blame them, the Saturn, SegaCD, 32X, Sega screwed their consumers one too many times I suppose.

Weird thing is out of all the consoles I own, the Dreamcast is the one I play the most Damn Shenmue&#33; it ruined me for all other games&#33;

And I notice that alot of people are choosing their PC&#39;s over consoles, I&#39;m sure that doesn&#39;t have anything to do with being able to get PC games for free

4. Games   -   #24
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    I just remembered... I did manage to get one win out of the console wars.

In the weeks before the release of the N64, a retail store in my town had a clearance sale of the last available top loading NES units, so they could make shelf space for the newer system.

I managed to snare one for &#036;30 Australian. It came with all the necessary leads, a dog bone controller and a 3 in 1 game cartridge.
    At the moment, that old top loader is sitting in my wardrobe in the original box in near mint condition, along with a small selection of games.
    I just checked the going rate for a top loader NES on ebay for a laugh..

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?q...10&BasicSearch=

Check it out... they&#39;re selling (on average) for ~&#036;70 US, and that&#39;s with the old rectangular controllers.
    The dog bones are quite rare, apparently.

So there you have it... the only console that now sells for 2 -3 times it&#39;s original retail price.
    The toploader NES: the greatest game console EVER&#33;

5. Games   -   #25
    Lick My Lovepump
    Antique NES, hehe.

6. Games   -   #26
    Originally posted by TARPD@24 February 2004 - 02:58
    ps2s unoriginal
    xbox is microsoft
    gamecube is purple
    My gamecube is silver.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

7. Games   -   #27
    h1
    B) C64 > *.

8. Games   -   #28
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by Illuminati+24 February 2004 - 06:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Illuminati &#064; 24 February 2004 - 06:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-uNz&#091;i
    ,23 February 2004 - 10:13] I was a casualty of the Sega - Nintendo war, and the later Nintendo - PS1 war.
    Those were the golden days of games Master System vs NES, Game Gear vs Game Boy, Mega Drive/Genesis vs Super Nintendo...the Nintendo vs Sega battle was arguably the greatest war in the past 20 years of gaming history....[/b][/quote]
    As I recall there were a few other minor contenders in that war. Probably the biggest was the TurboGrafx-16. Their big mascot game was Bonk&#39;s Adventure. Then there was also the Neo-Geo system, which was outrageously overpriced, and one called 3DO which tried to change the market by allowing other companies to make consoles that would play their games (similar to the VCR concept).

Did anyone actually own one of those consoles?

9. Games   -   #29
    Poster
    i have a neogeo pocket (the mono one) but no games
    I survived the great winter 03/04 depression

KLCasualties:
    J&#39;Pol - MIA / internet.news - KIA / Snny - MIA
    Billy_Dean - KIA / <s>fugley - MIA</s> / FuNkY CaPrIcOrN - MIA

Need some time alone?

10. Games   -   #30
    JMK's Avatar Blah
    Xbox owns all other consoles look at the facts with the specs of all the other consoles compared to xbox xbox pws them all on practically every single one enough said

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast