Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firmware For Quantum Hard Drive

lynx's Avatar .
    I don't think there will be a chipset driver included with win2k, you probably need to get it from SIS or HP. I couldn't actually find it at SIS, only up to Win98SE. Good luck with it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@23 February 2004 - 09:27
    I don't think there will be a chipset driver included with win2k, you probably need to get it from SIS or HP. I couldn't actually find it at SIS, only up to Win98SE. Good luck with it.
    well windws me worked and that was the same year so maybe they will have a driver, that us unless me was using the 98 driver.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    i finally got around to trying out that driver and although i could not find the 5595 windows xp driver lynx recomended trying, i did find a driver on their homepage that is for all sis products and it did work. Its all working perfectly (so far) thanks everybody!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Glad to hear it.

Most chipset makers have a common set of drivers for their IDE controllers, I was pretty sure SiS would be the same.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@24 February 2004 - 17:58
    Glad to hear it.

Most chipset makers have a common set of drivers for their IDE controllers, I was pretty sure SiS would be the same.
    yeah i was sorta thinking that since the nvidia site has their nforce chipset drivers which is for all of their chipsets and Via has theirs for everything all in on with their 4in1 drivers. But i was thinking SIS was a little different, especialy since ive never seen an SIS motherboard with a southbridge. Do you know why they dont have a southbridge?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    I haven't used SiS chipsets for a long time. They used to be only on very cheap mobo's with almost no options, usually built in VGA, etc. So I don't really know anything about their current offerings. They must have some sort of southbridge chip, they probably call it something else (such as SuperIO).

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    yeah i was guessing sis was pretty crappy, my old computer is the worst thing ive ever seen in games or playing movies\music. its slow just listening to mp3's while my friends k6-2 266mhz runs mp3's perfectly fine. im sure its teh motherboard. oh and yes it has onboard video.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@24 February 2004 - 15:31
    yeah i was guessing sis was pretty crappy, my old computer is the worst thing ive ever seen in games or playing movies\music. its slow just listening to mp3's while my friends k6-2 266mhz runs mp3's perfectly fine. im sure its teh motherboard. oh and yes it has onboard video.
    i had a k6-2 with a SiS motherboard. had no technical problems running WinXP on it, but it was slow as heck. i think their boards from that period were just incredibly poor.

they did clean up their reputation a bit, a year or two ago, by releasing some chipsets that actually offered similar speeds to VIA & Nvidia boards at a lower price... but i still don't think anyone would mistake SiS products for "high performance" gear, even now.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+25 February 2004 - 04:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 25 February 2004 - 04:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@24 February 2004 - 15:31
    yeah i was guessing sis was pretty crappy, my old computer is the worst thing ive ever seen in games or playing movies&#092;music. its slow just listening to mp3&#39;s while my friends k6-2 266mhz runs mp3&#39;s perfectly fine. im sure its teh motherboard. oh and yes it has onboard video.
    i had a k6-2 with a SiS motherboard. had no technical problems running WinXP on it, but it was slow as heck. i think their boards from that period were just incredibly poor.

they did clean up their reputation a bit, a year or two ago, by releasing some chipsets that actually offered similar speeds to VIA & Nvidia boards at a lower price... but i still don&#39;t think anyone would mistake SiS products for "high performance" gear, even now. [/b][/quote]
    once i turned down the eye candy and system restore off in windows xp i got it running the exact same as in windows 98. nothing different now really except that it was easier to network both my computers. The only problem i have with it is that i cant play any avi&#39;s or big mpeg movies, others work fine, and music makes the cpu usage go to 100% and everything else is slow too. so far the best ive found for using on that computer is winamp but even that slows it down quite a bit. i think ill toss it soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12