Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firmware For Quantum Hard Drive

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    hey guys, i installed windows xp onto my old computer yesterday but am having some problems.

the specs are:
    amd k6-2 333mhz
    crap asus spaz motherboard (i dont know if its the right name, this is an HP computer) it has SIS 5598 chipset.
    4mb onboard graphics
    onboard sound
    256mb sdram
    quantum 8gb hard drive. TX8.0AT is the model.
    24x cd-rom
    currently running windwos xp professional sp1.

and its all running fine performance wise so dont go baggering me about needing more ram, faster processor etc.

now here is the problem: sometimes when i startup i get the found enw hardware thing at teh botom of the screen and it says it found new ide controllers, sis pci ide controller, primary ide channel, secondary ide channel. then the hard drive, and last the cd-rom. Finally it says that i need to restart for the changes to take effect, whether i do restart or not then next time i startup the computer is fine, but the next restart after that it does it all over again.

at first i thought it was a dodgy install so i reformatted again this time using fat32 rather than ntfs, as it will be easier shall i have to go back to win98.

SAME PROBLEM

i used to have xp running on this machine and didnt have any problems. there are no updates on the HP website, and this board is not listed on the asus website. I checked SIS for the 5598 chipset and found a driver but it wasnt for xp, i tried teh win2000 one but it didnt install.

finally i thought today of looking in the event viewer for anything helpful and i found an error that came up around the time i started up the computer...it was called atapi and says that device at IDE0 (hard drive right?) has an outdated firmware.

Ive looked around but cannot seem to find a firmware for quantum tx8.0at , anoyone got any ideas as to what the problem could be or where to find an up to date firmware for the hard drive?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@22 February 2004 - 14:09
    I checked SIS for the 5598 chipset and found a driver but it wasnt for xp, i tried teh win2000 one but it didnt install.
    what do you mean by "it didn't install"? force it, man!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+22 February 2004 - 17:26--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 22 February 2004 - 17:26)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@22 February 2004 - 14:09
    I checked SIS for the 5598 chipset and found a driver but it wasnt for xp, i tried teh win2000 one but it didnt install.
    what do you mean by "it didn&#39;t install"? force it, man&#33; [/b][/quote]
    I TRIED&#33; lol.

when i used the installer that came with the driver nothing happened.

when i used device manager to do it it installed but after a restart did the same thing anyway so it ended up going back to the ol&#39; default drivers...ive tried doing this a few times, all the same result.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Wow I got one of those hard drives you don&#39;t see any problems here
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Keikan@22 February 2004 - 18:42
    yeah dont u hate it, its so slow, noisy and big too, its takes up a 5.25inch slot lol.

im starting to think it is the ide controller driver causing teh problem not the drive.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+22 February 2004 - 17:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 22 February 2004 - 17:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Keikan@22 February 2004 - 18:42
    Wow I got one of those hard drives you don&#39;t see any problems here&nbsp;
    yeah dont u hate it, its so slow, noisy and big too, its takes up a 5.25inch slot lol.

im starting to think it is the ide controller driver causing teh problem not the drive. [/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t know how big it is but it&#39;s hella loud
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Keikan+22 February 2004 - 19:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Keikan @ 22 February 2004 - 19:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@22 February 2004 - 17:49
    <!--QuoteBegin-Keikan
    @22 February 2004 - 18:42

im starting to think it is the ide controller driver causing teh problem not the drive.
    I don&#39;t know how big it is but it&#39;s hella loud [/b][/quote]
    yes it is...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@22 February 2004 - 22:49
    You are right. There are no actual drivers for specific hdd, only for the controllers.

I suspect your system doesn&#39;t like the way the drivers have been installed, so the second time you boot it is rolling back the drivers to the previous version, which is presumably standard ide. Of course, next time it boots it finds the SIS controller again and the process repeats.

Unfortunately, SIS do not provide a driver for XP for the 5598 chipset, this is probably why Xp is rolling back the driver.

You could try the driver for the 5595 chipset which does have XP support. At the very worst, you&#39;ll have to go into safe mode and remove it again.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    if there is absolutely no working WinXP IDE driver for this SiS board... maybe you oughta just get hold of Win2000 instead. Win2000 is almost exactly the same thing as WinXP anyway, and it&#39;d prolly run a tad bit faster on that K6-2 than WinXP does.

oh, i just remembered-- some motherboards required a BIOS update in order to achieve full compatibility with WinXP. so you might wanna check into that possibility. that might explain why WinXP is giving you those "outdated firmware" errors.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    thanks ill try teh 5595 chipset driver later today after schooll i gotta leave soon.

if it doesnt work ill try the windows 2000 cd i downloaded a while ago, still havent tried it out.

ive looked for a bios update but i already have the latest one, dated 1999 lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast