Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia Releases

bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Here is the article on their new cards.

I cant wait to see some benchmarks with them or something...but are their even boards out that are PCI express compatible?

Now I gotta remember some more graphics card shit names..haha I will post them in my Graphics Card Guide as soon as the begin selling them on newegg.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Nope, there are currently no PCI-Express boards available.

I agree with you---I want to see some numbers before I believe anything.

Just keep up with hardocp.com or anandtech ;

They will keep us up to date about what's worth it and what is not.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@22 February 2004 - 16:35
    Here is the article on their new cards.

I cant wait to see some benchmarks with them or something...but are their even boards out that are PCI express compatible?

Now I gotta remember some more graphics card shit names..haha  I will post them in my Graphics Card Guide as soon as the begin selling them on newegg.
    ATi's press release:

The Fastest Lane to PCI EXPRESS™ is with ATI

PCI Express™ will dominate new PCs

2004 will mark the most significant update to PC architecture in the past decade. This is the year when the new PCI Express™ architecture will arrive on the market to replace the AGP and PCI standards. Already one application - HDTV video editing - requires PCI Express, and there will certainly be others in the near future, including PC gaming .

ATI is at the forefront of this wave of innovation by being the first graphics provider to demonstrate a live-running PCI Express graphics solution.

ATI is supplying true PCI Express cards

ATI’s video processors have a native, or “true” PCI Express interface. They can communicate directly with the PCI Express bus at PCI Express speeds.

Other graphics companies have cards that are compatible with PCI Express, but they are still only AGP cards that are “bridged” by a second chip to be physically compatible with PCI Express slots on the motherboard. This architecture can only work at AGP speeds, and is more vulnerable to failure, performance bottlenecks and incompatibility with software applications.

Multiple Benefits of ATI’s True PCI Express Solution

ATI’s PCI Express design provides up to double the bandwidth of bridged PCI Express solutions. Full bandwidth is available in both upstream and downstream directions, whereas bridged PCI Express (AGP) provides only unidirectional bandwidth.

Better reliability
    There are fewer failure points with native one-chip ATI PCI Express due to the smaller number of physical connections, which lowers the time delay between when data is requested and when it is delivered. This also translates into more robust error correction and recovery than bridged PCI Express.

Better power management
    The serial bus with the reduced pin structure of the ATI native PCI Express architecture reduces the number of signals required, supporting lower power consumption and PCI Express's low-power idle states.
    Notebook users will find this feature of particular importance.

More cost efficient
    Unlike the bridged chip, the native one-chip design of new ATI PCI Express graphics processors will be brought on stream without significant incremental system cost.
    ATI PCI Express Demonstration
    ATI is being joined by Intel® and Pinnacle® Systems to demonstrate High Definition (HD) video editing on a PC at Intel Developer’s Forum in San Francisco the week of February 17th, 2004.
    Made possible by PCI Express’s high speed data transfers, the demonstration has to use the industry’s only true PCI Express visual processing unit (VPU). ATI’s PCI Express VPU, in conjunction with the advanced real time HD engine being developed by Pinnacle, takes advantage of the new read and write capabilities offered by PCI Express.

The future is here, stay tuned to see it first with ATI.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    I dont get it... Have Nvidia PCX Cards been released yet? Can they only be run on certain motherboards? How much are they?

Would it be a waste getting a 5950Ultra now?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Vamp@23 February 2004 - 06:43

Would it be a waste getting a 5950Ultra now?
    I suppose that depends on whether you're willing to not only pony up for the PCI Express card, but also the motherboard to support it.

My understanding ( which is admittedly tenuous) is that PCI Express will be an integral part of the new BTX form factor.
    So many things may be very different ...DDR2?

All this is not going to happen tomorrow anyway, so get your card now and in two years or so just upgrade the whole system.

It's probably what you'd do anyway, right?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Yeah...

I've always made bad choices when getting a PC, and now I'm getting a fully decked out gaming rig and i don't want it to be obsolete 15 minutes after I get it.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    You might want to wait for the new generation of cards that are about to come out mate, but the 5950 Ultra is an incredible card.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by adamp2p@22 February 2004 - 23:37
    Nope, there are currently no PCI-Express boards available.

I agree with you---I want to see some numbers before I believe anything.

Just keep up with hardocp.com or anandtech ;

They will keep us up to date about what's worth it and what is not.
    there will be soon, thanks to VIA and SIS

dont macs have pci express rite now? or is that pci 64

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    sorry for double post

adam, could you try getting a report from someone who is not as biased towards their own stuff? the nvidia article was an advertisement. an actual article, in my opinion, should come from someone who knows something about both sides.

next time, get the info from someone who gives equal info for all sides

shows you just what depth ppl go to in order to advertise their products

ATI could at least advertise their products using actual info, rather than degrading their competitors

of course, everything will be all right when the two companies merge into:

ati<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>VIDIA</span>

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Lick My Lovepump
    From what I know MACs have the real PCI-X, which is not PCI-Express. Its an upgrade of PCI from my knowledge, not as good as PCI-E though. Stupid naming too.

And from what I know DDR2 is not going to be supported by most motherboard manufacturers, simply because they know people will not pay a high premium for DDR2 to use the motherboard, so unless the price of DDR2 is reduced substantially it will not go to full market.

EDIT: Atividia, when in that article does ATi demean nvidia?
    There were rumours around a while ago saying the opposite...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast