Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Many Accounts

Poster
    Originally posted by lycosbot@23 February 2004 - 13:26
    I agree with you Jonno, let's get rid of the spam accounts
    Can't a mod just trace this IP and tell us who "lycosbot" is?
    He/she is obviously an old member...
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    i agree with you jonno. the other day i saw argarah started a thread and then backed up his point with his pseudonym 7thelephant. i thought to myself wtf?

3. Lounge   -   #13
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    What is wrong with one account per IP? I cant see any harm in it. Half the time in this Forum you dont know who you are 'talking' to. I am guilty too. I did it to prove a point against multiple accounts. But I would completely agree with one account per IP. There may be issues that arise out of this suggestion, at the moment I am unaware of any. Even people who are networked have an IP associated with 'their' computer.

I know we will get replies like 'too difficult to implement' etc. Surely if you can ban an IP, then you can limit that IP to one account.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    I agree wholeheartedly with this directive. Make It So.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by bigboab@23 February 2004 - 13:37
    What is wrong with one account per IP? I cant see any harm in it. Half the time in this Forum you dont know who you are 'talking' to. I am guilty too. I did it to prove a point against multiple accounts. But I would completely agree with one account per IP. There may be issues that arise out of this suggestion, at the moment I am unaware of any. Even people who are networked have an IP associated with 'their' computer.

I know we will get replies like 'too difficult to implement' etc. Surely if you can ban an IP, then you can limit that IP to one account.
    All Freeserve customers connect through a proxy. It's been known for large numbers of them to simultaneously have the same IP
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Originally posted by bigboab@23 February 2004 - 14:37

(This is Lamsey, as you all know - can't be arsed logging out )

Many people have multiple accounts from the same IP. Examples include those who are routered and those who access the board through a proxy.

Myself and WeeMouse access the board from the same static IP through a router, for example.
    Other examples include those who use AOhelL accounts, they seem to be automatically put through a proxy, with the result that many members here have the same IP, which made Mod life interesting to say the least

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    Originally posted by 4th gen+23 February 2004 - 14:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4th gen @ 23 February 2004 - 14:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigboab@23 February 2004 - 13:37
    What is wrong with one account per IP? I cant see any harm in it. Half the time in this Forum you dont know who you are &#39;talking&#39; to. I am guilty too. I did it to prove a point against multiple accounts. But I would completely agree with one account per IP. There may be issues that arise out of this suggestion, at the moment I am unaware of any. Even people who are networked have an IP associated with &#39;their&#39; computer.

I know we will get replies like &#39;too difficult to implement&#39; etc. Surely if you can ban an IP, then you can limit that IP to one account.
    All Freeserve customers connect through a proxy. It&#39;s been known for large numbers of them to simultaneously have the same IP [/b][/quote]
    then we ban freeserve customers, they never have anything worthwhile to say anyway

8. Lounge   -   #18
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    That is a very good point BB

It can rather confusing and frustrating at times

9. Lounge   -   #19
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Are you saying Mr Stewart that every computer &#39;networked&#39; or routed through a server has the same IP?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Ex-member
    Back in the normal account...

Originally posted by bigboab@23 February 2004 - 13:45
    Are you saying Mr Stewart that every computer &#39;networked&#39; or routed through a server has the same IP?
    Not always, I&#39;m sure there are some situations where they have their own outside IP address.

However, to take my LAN as an example, the router has a single static IP address associated with it. All the computers in my house which connect to that router have a local IP address which they use to communicate with each other and the router. The computers never have an actual internet IP address.

All internet traffic goes through a system called NAPT (Network Address and Port Translation); I&#39;m not sure how this works but basically the router does all the communication with the internet and automatically sends data back to the PC which requested it.

edited for clarification

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast