Thread: Windows 98

I need to install a standard TCP/IP port on a windows 98 computer so that I can print to it. It is simple to do in windows 2000, and XP but can not figure out how to do it in windows 98. Anyone got any ideas.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    what do you mean you want to install a port?

what port and what are you trying to run ?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    do you mean to install tcp\ip protocol into teh network stack or to add a printer across a network using tcp\ip?

install tcp/ip: right click network neighborhood>then properties>then click install or add> then click protocol>then click tcp\ip>then ok and it will install and have to restart and all that good stuff.

to install a printer: go too the printers folder and click add new printer then select network printer then next and choose the computer it is on and it will show any printers on that computer and you can install it like this. That is how i do it.

if neither of these are what you want then please rephrase your question.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Ok i guess i have to rephrase, I already have TCP/IP running on the computer and network. I have a color printer with a Jet Direct card on it (that would be a network printer NIC that acts as a print server). On a windows 2000 and windows xp computer you can just print directly to the TCP/IP port of the jet direct card by adding a Standard TCP Port during the network setup. That feature is not available on windows 98, so I need to be able to do this in windows 98. When you add the TCP/IP port it just ask you what the IP number is and your done and printing. How can I do this in windows 98.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    you start the add new printer wizard and select a network printer, then when it asks where the network printer is located you should be able to select to enter an ip address for the printer, but if that isnt working you cna try sharing teh printer on one of your other computers then adding it through there with teh 98 machines, although you will have to leave the other computer turned on when you want to print.

edit: or you could just upgrade it to windows 2000 or xp.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Well upgrading would be great, but here at the company they do not want to buy the software so I cant do that. I have worked around this by installing the printer on a spare server that I have and I am sharing it from there. I am connecting the windows 98 workstations to that shared printer, I guess this will work fine for now.