Thread: New Technology Ideas

atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    give us some ideas as to what would happen 10 years from now, in any aspect of computer hardware

me? well i think that supercircuits would be perfected to the point where processors lose no energy as heat: therefore hitting the theoretical maximum of any computer: the speed of the electrons themselves...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    ok here is my concept

the computer will be no more as it stands today

it will be a set top box on your huge lcd tv, and will do everything, it may even be incorperated into the house its self, to control all house functions ( lights, heat and cooling, cooking times, shopping ect vis bar code data base )

eg record movies from tv , internet connection via voice command , be a full surround audio system, everything we have in our homes today will either be controled from the computer, or be a part of it

in fact just about everything, and i can see this happening in 5 years not ten

hard drives will be replaced with crystals,

the only reason it wont happen is if no one developes it,

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    i'd say... eventually, PCs will no longer exist in their current form as self-contained computers where a single CPU is responsible for all of its own tasks. instead, people will have terminals or access points equipped with CPUs that can handle basic, easy work that doesn't require much processing power... but strenuous processing will be done remotely by a service provider that sells you a subscription to connect your terminal to their computing facilities. in order for that to happen, it'd require network speeds to grow many times faster than they are now... so that personal terminals and computing providers can work together as if they are a single machine.

maybe not in our lifetime... but somewhere down the road, i think the need for every user to own a full PC will be eliminated, and people will actually subscribe to services that provide CPU power and data storage from remote locations. basically people would not need to physically upgrade their gear anymore, or have a huge tower case with 13 cooling fans roaring, because the subscription service would scale to fit your computing needs... if you need your data processed faster or games to run at a higher framerate, you'd just upgrade your subscription & get more power devoted to your programs from the CPU provider.

but ten years from now? i think delphin460 is on the right track-- the trend is toward merging PC technology with all sorts of household appliances and entertainment machines. that's all gonna be integrated even more, there will be a lot more "swiss army knife"-type computer-based appliances with simple user-friendly controls, and it'll be networked together. that, and computers will play a larger role in ensuring mechanical safety, to prevent automobiles from crashing, protect wood shop instructors from accidentally sawing a finger off, all that kind of junk.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Light-based CPU's (already in development), THz clock rates
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Lets just all hope that if it controls our house that it doesn't run Windows. Who wants to have their house hacked?