Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nic Error

All of a sudden my NIC no longer works.
    It's actually integrated into the motherboard.
    I only see an amber light and green light in the outlet. Not sure what it means. As far as I know, both should be green.

I have no clue what could have caused this. One moment, I was browsing. The next moment, I was receiving network errors. Then, nothing went on line. None of the browsers, nothing could access the network.

I tried uninstalling the driver in the device manager, and reinstalling it.
    I checked the cable, took it out, and put it back.
    As of now, the cable is plugged into the NIC.
    But the other end is not attached to anything because I took it out of the modem.
    (That way, I could set up my USB connection to get back online.)

The computer recognizes when I unplug the cable. The device manager tells me this device is working properly.
    I'm at a loss here.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    make srue there are no knots or tangles in the cord and that nothing is sitting on top of it that might cuase obstruction.

make sure all the network settings are correct, go into network connections through control panel and right click ur connection then go to properties. click tcp\ip then click properties. make sure obtain ip adress automatically and obtain dns server automaticaly are both checked off.

If still nothing than i guess you could buy a new one, they are really cheap only like $10-$20 canadian.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Try another cable.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    um ok confused here

what does your nic connect to if you connect to adsl i presume with the usb connection

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    @delphin460, there are USB and RJ45 type ADSL modems. He probably has the RJ45 type.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Yes I tried another cable, and checked all those tcp/ip settings already. I even formatted my computer.

Normally my NIC connects to my DSL modem.
    But the NIC was giving me problems.
    I took the NIC cable out of the modem, and hooked the USB cable to my modem and computer.

I've been hooked to my modem with my NIC fine without problems for about a year.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    The cable has to be connected at both ends.

The Nic detects another Nic at the other end of the cable (in this case in your modem) so it says the connection is ok. If you disconnect either end of the cable you will get this problem, it is not sufficient to leave it plugged into your Nic and have the other end just floating around.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Thanks, but even when it is plugged in, I still get the error.

To test it, I can either
    A) Plug it into my router, but the router isn't connected to anything
    else.

B) Plug it back into my modem even though I have the USB plugged into it. Hopefully, it won't cause any confilcts.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Am I missing something here?

Shouldn't your pc be connected to your router, and the router to the modem. I realise you've connected to your modem via USB to get back online, but what was the setup when it first went wrong?

If it was the way I've suggested, and I suspect it is since you say "none of the browsers, nothing could access the network" (I assume you mean in other computers) then either your nic or your router is faulty. And if other computers have the same problem then it must be your router.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Thanks. Sorry about the mix up. There is no other computer on my router.

I originally had my NIC set up to go into the router.
    Then, a cable went from the router to the LAN outlet in the modem.
    (There are two outlets on my modem. One for USB, and one for LAN.)

When the error occured, I took the router away, and did all the troubleshooting with cable plugged directly from the NIC into the modem.

Since I needed to get online, I unplugged the cable from the modem's LAN outlet.
    Then I plugged a USB cable into modem's USB outlet and into the USB port on my computer.

All I'm trying to figure out right now is how to get it to work when I plug the cable from the NIC directly into the modem. The browser error says that there was a network error. The light is still amber on my NIC(motherboard LAN outlet).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast