Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converting Fat32 To Ntfs

Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user@27 February 2004 - 12:54
    thank u all,
    andi know how touse partion magic, i just want tobe sure that i dont lose my files
    Its easy to use, just launch the application, and select the drive you want to convert and right click mouse.

You will see the convert feature listed.

I would still advise you to back up your most important files when re-configuring partitons because there is the very small chance something might happen resulting in the loss of data.

I had a bad experience before when i accidently unplugged my network cable. The computer automatically rebooted and the partition was damaged.
    Robert00000

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by delphin460@26 February 2004 - 08:58
    the one downfall if you can call it is , if you format a drive for ntfs, its can be seen or shared on a network with a computer running win 95,98 or me
    yes it can. i had windows 98 on my old computer and this computer uses ntfs and i was sharing files pefectly fine. i could read, write and copy from teh windows 98 computer.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user@27 February 2004 - 12:54
    thank u all,
    andi know how touse partion magic, i just want tobe sure that i dont lose my files
    At fucking last.
    Five times it was spelled wrong before you typed lose correctly.
    That's one spelling mistake that really pisses me off - it used to be taught to 5 year olds.

Now all we've got to do is re-educate those with the your/you're and there/their/they're mind-blocks.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    here is a quick link on how to convert in xp pro fat to ntfs

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    ok i want to make it final,

which is more safer for converting, windows or partion magic

and a backup file, ist compressed or same size of files. and when a harddisk is backedup does files system information will be saved like i have backup of a fat32 HDD now if i convert my HDD from fat32 to ntfs and i want to restore the backup file, will it change the file system again from ntfs to fat32?

yeah so confusing, but i did ma best

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Well having read all this there is still a SMALL chance you could lose out its still a gamble unless of course you backup.

will it change the file system again from ntfs to fat32
    Important  Once you convert a drive or partition to NTFS, you cannot simply convert it back to FAT or FAT32. You will need to reformat the drive or partition which will erase all data, including programs and personal files, on the partition.
    Well looking at that you would have to reformat first to fat32 then use your backup to replace the files,problem to me here is any programs on the backup won't work as they are not in the registry,maybe I am wrong but thats how it looks and reads.

Come to think of it Microsoft as always been a gamble.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    BANNED
    I've done it throught windows mate with no problems.Its up to you if you feel safer using partition magic.,you know what to do.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by cwctv@28 February 2004 - 15:10
    Well looking at that you would have to reformat first to fat32 then use your backup to replace the files,problem to me here is any programs on the backup won't work as they are not in the registry,maybe I am wrong but thats how it looks and reads.
    so u mean that A Backedup files under FAt32 cannot be overwrite on a NTFS harddisk ?

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    Well I am not an expert on this and have never done it but not looking at that on the Micro site,and its all well everyone sayng get on with it "I had no problems"....
    Its your files not there's plus I recall afew people having problems with all of this a few weeks back,can't remember the posts now again I may be wrong but I say if it works don't mess with it I'am sure you know this.
    I would only undertake all of this if I could back all my files up which wouldn't be possible with this drive,who is going to help you recover your files if anything goes wrong...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12