Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting Fat32 To Ntfs

BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    i want to Convert (Not format) my secondery HDD from FAT32 to NTFS, is there any chance of loosing my files? :helpsmile:

btw is there any benifit of converting to NTFS cuz i have only files on secondey HDD i mean i didnt install any OS on it.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    yes every chance you will loose it all , as i have never heard of anyone doing it ,

ntfs , is 128 bit encrypted file system and is much more secure

if you are desperate to change it , start your comp with the xp cd and format it with ntfs, back up everything first

the one downfall if you can call it is , if you format a drive for ntfs, its can be seen or shared on a network with a computer running win 95,98 or me

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    i have over 21GB Files on that HDD and dont have any space left for backing it up

but i remember once i convert my primiry OS HDD and i didnt loose my file, hmm wait... i lost some file cuz i canceld the converting during moving file opration.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BANNED
    No mate you can convert over fine you wont lose your files.You can do through disk management,the only time i've used it.Partition magic probably too.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    ck-uk r u sure? man.. i dont want to loose my file's.

and yeh i want to use partion magic

Benjamen button

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    Yes mate.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    Dont bother installing partition magic mate,you only need to type this in a cmd prompt from the start menu.

convert c: /fs:ntfs

Type converting in help & support in the start menu for more help,mate.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    yeah use partition magic, just select your drive, then select convert, there will be a list of drive types, select fat32 -> ntfs
    yeah.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    there are so many different ways to do this, some people will say this and others that. I like to use partition magic myself. Not to discount any other posts or suggestions. I have used it many times and will use it more I am sure. It has never failed and it works good. As far as your data, well there is always that remote chance that you will loose it no matter what you do. But more than likely it will be safe. I would do it with partition magic 8.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    thank u all,
    andi know how touse partion magic, i just want tobe sure that i dont lose my files

Benjamen button

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast