Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cpu Cooling

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i had an idea about cooling the other day. i was thiknking about using a couple of cooling ducts. http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=55527

and a 80-60mm fan adpater for my stock amd heatsink, and a 80mm fan. and bringing the air straight from the outside of the case, since the ait should be cooler there, do u think this will yeild good results.

i may try get a picture up soon.

edit: or would my money eb better spend on a better cooler. ran than the above, as it will prob cost about £15-20 ish i recon.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Depends which cpu you've got and whether you are OCing. I found that the Akasa 824CU was an excellent HSF (in fact I'm still using the heatsink). You should be able to pick one of those up for about £12. It uses an oversize heatsink and an 80mm fan, and the copper base means you don't need to worry about the centre spot phenomenon.

To me it seemed like a good solution without adding extra weight to the mounting.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Livy, I have been using a setup similar to your idea for months now.
    It is quite effective.

However ( there's ALWAYS something, right?), you will have to make provisions to remove all the air you are now bringing in or your case will ultimately suffer from heat soak and temps will again rise.*
    Also...using the 60 to 80mm adaptor may move your HS fan beyond the reach of the ducts....

*Roof blowholes work well for this...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    I'm thinking of going for these. Looks a little like the ones you've got, clocker.

Edit: They've got some really strange deals on that site - look under tools - there's something that's described as "we don't know what it is so you can have one free" or something like that.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    That's hilarious.
    Even funnier is that there is undoubtably someone who not only knows what it is, but needs it DESPERATELY.
    Willing to pay dearly for it if only they knew where to find it....

That fan panel does look familiar doesn't it?
    Mine are working out great....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    I put a 80mm fan on my stock Heatsink, and my temps didnt seem to change at all really.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i think by using the 60-80 and 2 of the thermaltake ducts should fit in my case, and the extra weight would be shared with my case fan mounting, which i planned to use, ill have a look at sizes and stuff. or i might pop into b&q as some piping mat be cheaper. as a temp soloution

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    this is what i might try one of these days:

ill buy a case with a side fan on it and make a duct going from the fan to teh cpu then attach a second fan along the duct to help airflow throgh it and attach it right to teh heatsync so its completely fresh cool air coming in and then maybe attach two slow moving fans to the side of the heatync blowing away from it to remove the air coming in faster. i think that would be a little unneccessary but stilll pretty cool.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@26 February 2004 - 22:41
    this is what i might try one of these days:

ill buy a case with a side fan on it and make a duct going from the fan to teh cpu then attach a second fan along the duct to help airflow throgh it and attach it right to teh heatsync so its completely fresh cool air coming in and then maybe attach two slow moving fans to the side of the heatync blowing away from it to remove the air coming in faster. i think that would be a little unneccessary but stilll pretty cool.
    im not on about the side fn, its a rear case fan mounting. thats why i would need the 2 ducting mods to make it 90 degree change

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    I think you missed the point about that adapter.

The idea is that you remove the fan from your heatsink, fit the adapter, then fasten the fan to the adapter. Since the fan is no longer blowing straight down onto the heatsink you avoid the centre spot problem so you get better cooling from the same fan, or the same cooling from a lower speed (and therefore quieter) fan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast