Thread: Irc.mircx.com Shut Down

ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    One of the largest irc servers irc.mirx.com killed by a Distrubuted Denial of Service attack

Sunday, February 22, 2004

Over the past few days, we have been receiving a very large sustained ongoing DDoS attack against all of the servers on our IRC network. While we have made efforts to filter the attack, the person behind it has been very persistent and we have been forced to block all traffic to the servers at times to filter it. Unfortunately, the end result has been an unusable network and the loss of our secondary server.

Together with our main server provider, we have decided to close down what's left of the IRC network. We don't know for how long the attack will continue, and it has, at times, affected other servers (and paying customers) on the networks where the IRC servers are hosted. Ultimately, we decided that it's no longer worth the expense, resources, and trouble to deal with any more attacks and outages over a free service. While we understand how many of you have come to depend on the IRC network, we hope you can understand our position and do apologize for the short notice and inconvenience this causes. We would have liked to continue the IRC network for a long time to come, but with the current state of DDoS attacks on the Internet and the problem only increasing, this no longer seems feasible.

We would like to thank the providers who hosted our servers over the past few years for their support, and all of you who made the IRC network your home. At this time, we know who is responsible for the attacks and law enforcement is investigating. Should you have any information which might assist law enforcement, please send it to us and we will pass it along.
    source

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    SO WE NO LONGER CAN USE MIRC :helpsmile: ? Are the the Riaa attactking these servers.If this is true i will kill myself...............................no,no,no.no.no its to bad to false.....................................tell me it ain so

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    This had nothing to do with the RIAA it was an Distributed Denial of Service attack
    against the IRC server MIRCX...

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    why do some people question if the RIAA had anything to do with this? its all together
    possible.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Kai Doh Maru@2 March 2004 - 00:02
    why do some people question if the RIAA had anything to do with this? its all together
    possible.
    THAT STATEMENT WAS SO DUMB , I WANT EVEN COMMENT ON IT

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    There is only a VERY REMOTE chance that RIAA/MPAA/BSA is in any way related/behind the irc.mircx.com DDoS attack/s. They wouldn't be doing it directly, but would have to work through 'unrelated' (at least unproveable) connections to do so.