Thread: Hard Disk Clusters Errors?

Hey i have a hard drive that i got bad cluster error :helpsmile:
    Does someone know a program taht i can fix it , i mean to make an X on the bad cluster or sumtin'
    Thx
    having fun with girls - thats all about my friend

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by @driano@27 February 2004 - 17:30
    Hey i have a hard drive that i got bad cluster error :helpsmile:
    Does someone know a program taht i can fix it , i mean to make an X on the bad cluster or sumtin'
    Thx
    i think running windows checkdisk should fix that.

start>run>type &#39;cmd&#39;>in the command prompt type &#39;chkdsk <x:> /f&#39; >press enter
    (replace X with teh drive letter you choose). if it asks to do a scan on restart let it and then restart.

next go to the command prompt again (start>run>cmd>enter) and this time type &#39;chkdsk x: /r&#39;

im not sure which one will fix the bad clusters but at least one of those two will so whats teh harm in running both.

THIS IS ALL ASSUMING YOU HAVE WINDOWS XP OR 2000&#33;

if you have windows 95&#092;98&#092;me then get ahold of a windows 98 boot disk and type &#39;scandisk &#092;surface&#39; at the command prompt. it will find bad sectors, and mark them as bad for you. this will take a very long time, as you have to press a key to mark each and every bad cluster.

...or you could do a low level format of the drive and it will eliminate all bad sectors but try the other commands first and we willl tell you how to do a low level format if they dont work.

btw, what kind of drive is it?