Thread: Printer Problems Omg

We got some printer problems. We use an officejet printer. at first, the office jet would photocopy something, but only give us half of what we intended to copy. this later somehow fixed itself. However the printing was still giving us half of a document. Later though, we realized that attempting to print a document from "Computer A" would result in "Document has failed to print" and the printer would have no response. Then, I went to a second computer we had, "Computer B" and tried printing to our officejet. "Document has failed to print" Yes I did activate printer sharing. Then I tried to use "Computer B" to print on our second printer, and it printed out fine. I went back to "Computer A" and tried printing to our working printer, but it would say "Document has failed to print" strange o_O, any help is appreciated.

--------------------------CHIDORI! (Lightning Edge)-----------------------

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    have you tried using a different driver on the computer that shares the printer? i know that when i had my old computer sharing the printer and it was using the 98 driver and i was printing with teh xp driver it was going really slow and would stop during documents and just do nothing, until i put it on this computer (xp one) and now it is fine.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    It would be nice if you'd give us a little more information, like what OSes are installed, which computer the printer is physically attached to etc.

Never mind now, remove the printer from the computer that's having the problem then reboot and use the Add printer applet to install it using the driver disk not re-using the old drivers if you're given that option.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@28 February 2004 - 02:52
    have you tried using a different driver on the computer that shares the printer? i know that when i had my old computer sharing the printer and it was using the 98 driver and i was printing with teh xp driver it was going really slow and would stop during documents and just do nothing, until i put it on this computer (xp one) and now it is fine.
    sounds somewhat like my problem. Got any ideas on how to do/test this?

both computers are Windows XP

Printer A linked with Computer A

Printer B linked with Computer B

I dont think u guys need the system specs. and um yea... :helpsmile:

It would be nice if you'd give us a little more information, like what OSes are installed, which computer the printer is physically attached to etc.

Never mind now, remove the printer from the computer that's having the problem then reboot and use the Add printer applet to install it using the driver disk not re-using the old drivers if you're given that option.
    I think I already tried this. by driver disk you mean the stuff that came with the officejet? nope, according to instructions, windows XP comes with a preinstalled driver, and installing does more harm than good. And since my model is a 1175Cse, its retired now... we dont want to take it in for repair since now we arent sure if the problem is with the comp or the printer, but it seems like both

--------------------------CHIDORI! (Lightning Edge)-----------------------

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    make sure that the computer trying to access the other computer printer isnt using the automatic printer. (if you check printers and faxes you will know if it is automatic)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    um, another thought too, are both computers using the same windows, cause if i remember you have to install each windows drivers if they windows platforms are diff

you normaly do this when you add a network printer and it asks if there are comps with other opperating systems

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by delphin460@28 February 2004 - 14:04
    um, another thought too, are both computers using the same windows, cause if i remember you have to install each windows drivers if they windows platforms are diff

you normaly do this when you add a network printer and it asks if there are comps with other opperating systems
    Did you miss the bit about both comps running XP?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by h4mx0r@28 February 2004 - 06:12
    I think I already tried this. by driver disk you mean the stuff that came with the officejet? nope, according to instructions, windows XP comes with a preinstalled driver, and installing does more harm than good. And since my model is a 1175Cse, its retired now... we dont want to take it in for repair since now we arent sure if the problem is with the comp or the printer, but it seems like both
    What I mean is remove the printer & reboot, then re-install the printer using the applet, but when Windows says "Windows already has driver files for this printer, do you wqant to use those?", click No and install the relevant drivers again - from the XP CD if that's where they are.
    If you've got a corrupted driver file you're gonna get problems, so re-installing the originals (whether they're from HP or Windows, it doesn't matter) would eliminate that area as the problem.
    Of course, if you've already done this, we can discount it.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?