Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux Os

where can i get a BOOT DISK for redhat, slackware...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by mEtho@1 March 2004 - 17:44
    For what kernel?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by shn+1 March 2004 - 23:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn &#064; 1 March 2004 - 23:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mEtho@1 March 2004 - 17:44
    For what kernel? [/b][/quote]
    whats kernal gota do with this

to be honest i am trying Linux the first time so i can tell u that i dont know jack shit about linux

linux is meant to be more powerful and stable os then windows so plz help me out with that cos i really want linux on my pc ASAP&#33;&#33;&#33;

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    Boot disks are different for each kernel.

You will learn, young one.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by mEtho+1 March 2004 - 17:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mEtho &#064; 1 March 2004 - 17:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by shn@1 March 2004 - 23:47
    <!--QuoteBegin-mEtho
    @1 March 2004 - 17:44

For what kernel?
    whats kernal gota do with this

to be honest i am trying Linux the first time so i can tell u that i dont know jack shit about linux

linux is meant to be more powerful and stable os then windows so plz help me out with that cos i really want linux on my pc ASAP&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Well for one there are two types of bootdisk when it comes to Linux.

1. An installation boot disk
    2. And a bootdisk that boots your kernel for an already installed system.

For option 1 you need only to go to the distribution&#39;s site and retrieve whatever type of boot disk you need to install.

With Slackware there are two most common types:

bare.img -- will just boot your system into the install with no other option but to install from floppy or cd-rom.

net.img -- will have support for your network card and enable you theoption to install over the network.

Then you will need 1 more called a rootdisk that has the setup program for slackware.

There are many other bootdisk for slack but thoose are 2 I think are most common.

For Red Hat you just need to go to a http://redhat.com/mirrors and get the bootdisk you need. The process is similar to the above like slackware but you generally only need 1 disk called bootdisk.img, or once again for network support........drvnet.img.

Now if you are trying to boot an already installed system then you need to make a bootdisk if you have no other way to boot into that kernel. Eg. no bootloader.

You will need the kernel version so that you can boot into that kernel.

as root:

Code:
    /sbin/mkbootdisk &nbsp;--2.4.20-9
    You can aslo make bootdisk from original media if you have the whole o.s. burned to cd&#39;s. Just use the cd that has the "images" directory and if you are on windows you need to write the bootdisk image to a floppy with Rawrite for windose

But if you want to bypass all the above methods that I mentioned all you have to do is go here and you can install Linux asap without any prior knowledge of it whatsoever. (Link provided courtesy of LSA)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    shn whipped out the m4d skillz again

I think you could write a book and make a bunch of money&#33;

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Originally posted by LSA@2 March 2004 - 00:40

this guy knows his stuff, even though what he said isnt making much sense now but it will all make sense when i install linux

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by mEtho+1 March 2004 - 18:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mEtho @ 1 March 2004 - 18:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LSA@2 March 2004 - 00:40

this guy knows his stuff, even though what he said isnt making much sense now but it will all make sense when i install linux [/b][/quote]
    I do my best

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12