Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Os

i was thinking of installing linux based OS but i dont know their names , i see some on mIRC, for example REDHAT etc, i was wondering if some1 could provide me the whole list of Linux's Operating Systems and also recommend me one which is the most powerful of all of them!!

thx in advance

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I dont think anyone has a complete list of all the different distributions, there are looaads of them.

People who are new to linux usually go for mandrake or redhat because they're pretty easy to install. I would still do some reading before you install them though. Theres a good sticky post with loads of tutorials in the linux section of this board, this site has a massive list of distributions and the pros and cons of each.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    h1
    More than a thousand I'm guessing... to search for some click here or here.

RedHat? Big no-no for a noob.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    h1
    For power, use Gentoo or SuSE Pro, but I doubt you'll get to that level soon.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by haxor41789
    RedHat? Big no-no for a noob.
    How come? I found it to be as easy as mandrake when I first started getting into linux.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    h1
    For some people (including me the first time), just the bootloader can be a nightmare.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    A bootdisk instead of using a bootloader will fix that

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    h1
    I found that out a little too late.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    whats the story behind the bootdisks, anyway i downloaded lindows Live and Xandros Desktop Linux 2.0 and i didnt get any serial numbers for them, does these OS required Serial number ,

Redhat is half done!!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Get em off bittorent if it's a distro like suse, xandros, lindows.

Xandros is just a copycat of lindows IMO.

And boot disk work a little better because you do not have to touch your mbr and that saves some people the hassle of getting linux to boot. You should always have a bootdisk handy anyway, wether you have a bootloader or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast