Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mom Killed At Paintball Birthday Party

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    An accident with a paintball gun left a mother dead on her son's 10th birthday, after the paintball battle had drawn to a close. 

Colette Contois was killed instantly when the carbon dioxide canister that powered the gun of one of her son's friends unexpectedly separated from the weapon and hit her in the back of the head. 

"Our whole lives changed as we know it," said her husband, Mark, who buried his wife nine days after the birthday party. Most paintball players don't know of the potential deadly danger of the canisters.
    More Info: Source

That sucks.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    h1
    I have a propane-powered air gun.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    damn!!!!!
    THATS SUCKS

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    A terrible accident. I wouldn't call for extra cotton wool to wrap people in as a result of it though.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Colette Contois was not the first person to die from a paintball accident involving an ejected CO2 canister. The Consumer Product Safety Commission says it is investigating five more paintball gun incidents, including the death of a 15-year-old who was struck in the head by an ejected canister.
    A terrible accident. I wouldn't call for extra cotton wool to wrap people in as a result of it though
    I would.

I dont know anything about this game, but dont they wear helmets ??

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Probably not when they're breaking down the guns.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by Evil Gemini@29 February 2004 - 22:51
    Colette Contois was not the first person to die from a paintball accident involving an ejected CO2 canister. The Consumer Product Safety Commission says it is investigating five more paintball gun incidents, including the death of a 15-year-old who was struck in the head by an ejected canister.
    A terrible accident. I wouldn't call for extra cotton wool to wrap people in as a result of it though
    I would.

I dont know anything about this game, but dont they wear helmets ??
    No there are no helmets required.
    I play this at least 8 times in spring and summer.
    You required to have goggles and a breathable mask to protect your whole face.
    Once I was shot at an angle from behind and the paint hit between my ear and the mask and splattered inside the mask.

What a shot!!!!
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    According to the article, some of those paint ball guns can fire the paint pellets at speeds over 200mph. For what is largely supposed to be a bit of fun that seems to me to be hugely excessive.

If the gun involved in this incident was of that type it will be hardly surprising if the CO2 canister proves to have been dangerously overpressurized. I can think of no other reason why the canister should be ejected with such force.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by lynx@1 March 2004 - 10:23
    If the gun involved in this incident was of that type it will be hardly surprising if the CO2 canister proves to have been dangerously overpressurized. I can think of no other reason why the canister should be ejected with such force.
    I would agree; though in my youth I went through a period of enthrallment with CO2-powered pellet guns, etc., and was well aware of the care needed in handling/using CO2 cartridges.

News stories about eyes being put out were fairly common.

Sounds like "Mom" was incredibly unlucky, too, in this instance.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Of course, the equipment is are largely safe if used and maintained correctly, it is just that people are occasionally and tragically unlucky.

We cannot stop people from doing everything that might be a bit dodgy, we wouldn't want to get out of bed in the morning!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast