Thread: Ftps And Ie Broken

Poster
    OK, I've had this problem for a while now. I had a virus a few weeks ago, got rid of it. I can't find any viruses or trojans with NOD32, Trojan Hunter and NOD32 now. However, I can't use Internet explorer and I can't use any FTPs. When I try to login to my own FTP, SmartFTP seems to be able to connect, but no directory listing is shown. In the log, it says:

Resolving host name ***.***.***.***...
    Connecting to (***.***.***.***) -> IP: ***.***.***.*** PORT: 21
    Connected to (***.***.***.***) -> Time = 0ms
    Socket connected waiting for login sequence.
    220 BulletProof FTP Server ready ...
    USER anonymous
    331 Password required for anonymous.
    PASS (hidden)
    230 User ftp logged in.
    SYST
    215 UNIX Type: L8
    FEAT
    500 Unknown command.
    REST 100
    350 REST supported. Ready to resume at byte offset 100.
    REST 0
    350 REST supported. Ready to resume at byte offset 0.
    PWD
    257 "/" is current directory.
    TYPE A
    200 Type set to A.
    PASV
    227 Entering Passive Mode (***.***.***.***).
    Opening data connection IP: ***.***.***.*** PORT: 56571.
    LIST -aL
    Connection closed. Server timeout.
    NOOP
    200 NOOP command successful.
    Connection closed.

Why is it "opening data connection" on port 56571?

The problem with IE is that it won't load any pages, it just sits there, the progress bar never moves. Is there any way I can do a repair install or something?

Anyone have any advice on how to fix IE or FTP accounts?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    i had that happen to me too a few weeks ago. are u running xp? if you are try system restoring it and if that doesn't work then i don't really know, i just system restored my system and it worked

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by cooldude_83@1 March 2004 - 05:36
    i had that happen to me too a few weeks ago. what was the virus's name, cause i'm sorda a wiz kid at comps!? are u runnig xp? if you are try system restoring it and if that doesn't work then i don't really know, i just system restored my system and it worked
    NOD32 didn't identify it by name, only saying it was an unknown STEALTH.POLY.CRYPT.TSR.DRIVER virus
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Repairing Internet Explorer

First check that no-one has been playing with the settings! Launch Internet Explorer and select  Tools >Internet Options >Advanced >Restore Defaults. Then close and reopen internet explorer. If its still playing up read on...

1. CLick start > run >type sfc /scannow {enter} and have your windows CD handy.

2. Search your hard drive for the "ie.inf" file (Usually in windows\inf\ or winnt\inf) When you have found it right click it and select install. Then reboot. [Running this from command line does the same "rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf"]

3. Still not working? CLick Start > settings >control Panel >Add/Remove Programs > internet explorer. Press the Change/Remove button (In windows 9X the button is Add/Remove). If youve upgraded IE you can revert to the previous version by selecting "Restore the previous Windows COnfiguration" but more often you will need "Repair Internet Explorer", then click OK. Reboot.

4. Still not working? CLick Start >Run >type regedit {enter} Navigate to the following key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Active Setup \ Installed Components \ {89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383} In the right hand pane find the value "IsInstalled" right click it, select modify, then change it to 0 (thats a Zero&#33.
    You can now download and reinstall Internet Explorer (Links below).
    NB. If you want to reinstall Outlook Express at the same time perform the same action on this registry key. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Active Setup \ Installed Components \ {44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
    Further reading, Repair IE
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    I changed to WS_FTP and now it seems to be working
    Looks like it was a problem with SmartFTP, rather than anything malicious.

Thanks for the link I.am, reading now
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    The link looks good but I can&#39;t find my windows cd at the moment

Thanks for the help though
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    You&#39;re welcome Maybe you should make a copy from somewhere for windows cd. It does come in handy when M&#036; screws up from time to time.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by I.am@1 March 2004 - 07:03
    You&#39;re welcome Maybe you should make a copy from somewhere for windows cd. It does come in handy when M&#036; screws up from time to time.
    Yeah, I&#39;ve been meaning to make a copy for a while, I just can&#39;t seem to find the CD at the moment

I&#39;ve also lost a couple of PS2 games, my parents are endlessly tidying things up, they don&#39;t seen to care much for CDs

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by 4th gen@1 March 2004 - 01:07
    I&#39;ve also lost a couple of PS2 games, my parents are endlessly tidying things up, they don&#39;t seen to care much for CDs
    A story of every house