Thread: Spy Vs Spy: Ad-aware Vs Spybot S&d

This review is meant to settle the score between Ad-aware and Spybot and determine which of the two can detect and remove spyware and adware effectively. I installed 28 applications which are known to contain spyware or adware on a virtual drive using VMWare Workstation. Check out a small piece of the review...

For the first scan, Ad-aware detected 12 processes, 311 registry keys, 55 registry values, 344 files and 21 folders for a total of 743 malicious objects. Ad-aware was not able to quarantine all of the objects reported because many of them were currently in use. A second scan was necessary; after restarting the computer Ad-Aware detected and quarantined 13 objects. To verify that Ad Aware had finished detecting all objects, I ran a scan a third time, and Ad-aware confirmed zero objects infected. I proceeded in deleting all files that were quarantined so that Spybot S&D would not detect these later on. Checking to see if I noticed any difference on my computer, Ad-aware had restored my IE homepage, and removed many of the toolbars that once crowded Internet Explorer.

Read Whole Review and Results

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    SH, The person who wrote this didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Here's a direct quote about removing problems with SSD
    "The quarantined items had to be deleted in order to ensure that Ad-aware wasn?t going to confuse them with infected objects. Erasing these objects proved to be rather difficult compared to Ad-aware?s method of emptying the quarantined objects. In order to permanently delete the objects that are quarantined, you have to select each file individually; there is no option to select all of the files. Deleting all 410 quarantined problems proved to be extremely frustrating and time consuming."
    That's total bullshit. I use the select all files option for SSD all the freakin time. Even works from the recovery or backup mode. This guy's an asswipe. SSD is much better than AAW. I use both though. Why not they're both free! But I use SSD first always. SSD can handle more things than AAW can. It's all about setting up SSD. SSD is not all preconfigured. There is so much more to SSD. Just gotta look.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I ran them side by side I'm useing Spybot . Works fine for me

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    The objects or problems that Spybot S&D failed to detect were more than twice as many as Ad-aware?s
    this doesn't reli mean ad-aware is better, this means that both of them aren't good enuf

we ought to get ourselves a better spyware remover, why can't they just maintain the same spyware list?
    Please be kind to the noobs...we were once them after all

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by zapjb@1 March 2004 - 22:08
    SH, The person who wrote this didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Here's a direct quote about removing problems with SSD
    "The quarantined items had to be deleted in order to ensure that Ad-aware wasn?t going to confuse them with infected objects. Erasing these objects proved to be rather difficult compared to Ad-aware?s method of emptying the quarantined objects. In order to permanently delete the objects that are quarantined, you have to select each file individually; there is no option to select all of the files. Deleting all 410 quarantined problems proved to be extremely frustrating and time consuming."
    That's total bullshit. I use the select all files option for SSD all the freakin time. Even works from the recovery or backup mode. This guy's an asswipe. SSD is much better than AAW. I use both though. Why not they're both free! But I use SSD first always. SSD can handle more things than AAW can. It's all about setting up SSD. SSD is not all preconfigured. There is so much more to SSD. Just gotta look.
    I'd agree. It certainly doesn't "settle the score". It looks like the reviewer spent minimal (if any) time setting up Spybot S&D and as such never saw the program at its full potential. I've always found Spybot to be the better of the two.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    h1
    Originally posted by zapjb@1 March 2004 - 18:08
    I will take that post to the bank.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    baccyman's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    i have found that this is a very good prog for spyware once it is gone . there seems to be fairly frequent updates and its free

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

you might want to do a clean out with spybot or ad-aware or both if you want . but since i have been using this spybot has never pick anything up .

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Yes I concur, SpywareBlaster is a great program. I have it also. SSD & SWB are complimentary of each other. SSD even recognizes if you have SWB installed. On SSD immunize section it says, "You have JavaCools SpywareBlaster installed. SpywareBlaster will give you much more control on ActiveX protection. Click here to run it."

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Well what I do is run adaware first and then spyware to make sure no spyware is left.