Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hamster Coats..

Its magic baby!
    100 hamsters killed for each coat! that is really quite sadistic, i didn't think real fur coats were still being made... but little hamster ones (Weemouse and hobbes may like to avert there eyes )

Hamster coats boycott call
    Campaigners allege that hamsters suffer in the production of fur coats
    Campaigners have called for a boycott of a Scottish store selling hamster fur coats.

They have claimed that at least 100 hamsters are gassed to make just one of the garments and described the practice as "Stone Age".

The Austrian-made coats have been on sale at the House of Bruar store in Perthshire.

The store has said it will look at its range of products in the light of customer reaction.

The coats have been sold for £1,750.

Animal rights groups believe House of Bruar has been the only retailer in Scotland stocking the Austrian-made coats.

This is very gory and it is unacceptable in this day and age that any animal should be killed purely for clothing
    Doreen Graham
    Scottish SPCA
    They have called on shoppers to boycott the store at Blair Atholl in Perthshire, which they say also sells garments made of mink, fox and racoon fur.

Advocates for Animals spokeswoman Yvonne Taylor said: "This is horrifying, about 100 hamsters would be needed to make each coat."

Ms Taylor said that in some fur production, animals are still alive when the skinning process begins.

Customer reaction

The Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals called the garments "coats of death".

Scottish SPCA spokeswoman Doreen Graham said: "This is very gory and it is unacceptable in this day and age that any animal should be killed purely for clothing.

"It really smacks of the Stone Age."

House of Bruar said it was worried that customers could be offended by the sale of the coats and hinted it might withdraw them from sale.

A spokesman said: "As a company, we pride ourselves on our relationship with our customers and are therefore concerned that we may have offended some people.

"We are constantly reviewing our product range in the light of customer feedback in our pursuit of excellence in customer service."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Should this be allowed or is it a crime against nature?

Should animals be allowed the same rights as humans, is animal testing right.

Many chimpanzees are used for testing new antibiotics because they are so similar genetically to humans - should they be protected by 'human rights' - are other species inferior?

What do you think?
    Wiz.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I agree, i dont like fir coats...

The activists though pick their targets well...you never see them throwing paint over Hells Angels, for example...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    How did you make the leap from "hamster coats" to "testing antibiotics on chimpanzees"?
    Do you think they are morally equivalent?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Its magic baby!
    Originally posted by clocker@1 March 2004 - 23:38
    How did you make the leap from "hamster coats" to "testing antibiotics on chimpanzees"?
    Do you think they are morally equivalent?
    Do you think they are not?
    Wiz.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Irrelevant.

The topic title and the posted article refer to hamster coats.
    The questions he asks are about medical research.

Do you not see a disconnect there?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    A Different debate entirely I agree with Clocker (Hi mate, long time no see) ,

Firstly, If the topic is about vivisection for medical purposes, then it should be stated clearly rather than snuck in as an emotive issue, right at the end.

I do not see the connection between killing animals purely for their skins, for the production of burgers, or the use in medical experiments. All are different debates in my view.

I enjoy the occasional steak, and thank medical research for having kept many people I care about alive and healthy. I also have no problem with the use of animal skins where that animal was also a food animal, this is avoiding waste of our resources. A moral vegetarian is of course not obliged to feel that way.

However, I would like to personally protest against the cosmetic use of animals for the sake of so called luxury goods. This is just unacceptable in an age where the softness of animal fur can easily be reproduced artificially. The only justification therefore is that the animal was once alive, which means that it was used for no other pleasure than knowing it was a real animal.

How sad that this can be a pleasure worth thousands of Pounds/Dollars and the deaths of hundreds of creatures that don't even make good eating!!!!!

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Its magic baby!
    Originally posted by clocker@1 March 2004 - 23:53
    Irrelevant.

The topic title and the posted article refer to hamster coats.
    The questions he asks are about medical research.

Do you not see a disconnect there?
    Yes i do and that was my intention my question is about animal rights and i want to know other peoples opinions not voice my own... o.k?
    Wiz.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by sara5564@2 March 2004 - 00:17
    A Different debate entirely I agree with Clocker (Hi mate, long time no see) ,

Firstly, If the topic is about vivisection for medical purposes, then it should be stated clearly rather than snuck in as an emotive issue, right at the end.

I do not see the connection between killing animals purely for their skins, for the production of burgers, or the use in medical experiments. All are different debates in my view.

I enjoy the occasional steak, and thank medical research for having kept many people I care about alive and healthy. I also have no problem with the use of animal skins where that animal was also a food animal, this is avoiding waste of our resources. A moral vegetarian is of course not obliged to feel that way.

However, I would like to personally protest against the cosmetic use of animals for the sake of so called luxury goods. This is just unacceptable in an age where the softness of animal fur can easily be reproduced artificially. The only justification therefore is that the animal was once alive, which means that it was used for no other pleasure than knowing it was a real animal.

How sad that this can be a pleasure worth thousands of Pounds/Dollars and the deaths of hundreds of creatures that don't even make good eating!!!!!
    Sara has very elequently stated my views for me....

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    :beerchug:

Nice one

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Hey better tested on animals then to test it on your children first

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast