Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Girl Who Can't Feel Pain

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    3 year old Gabby Gingras was born incapable of feeling pain - the rare disease prevents the nerve fibers in her body from being able to pick up and transmit pain signals.

No other cases like it have been found in the US - doctors can only find twelve instances of the disease in the entire world.

Without pain, she can't tell when she is harming herself. As a result, she currently has no teeth, and may have to have one of her eyes removed from complications caused by self injuries when she was an infant.

-------
    This is the short version, entire story and more information: Source

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    "She fell down the stairs the other day in the garage," her dad says. "She just picked herself up and started climbing up the stairs again like nothing had happened."

"She never cried," her mother adds.

"So often we think of pain in a negative way. But it is pain, that protects us."

That sucks..

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Ouch!!
    .....er I mean......oh nothing.

She should become a boxer or get some other job that utilizes her feeling of invincibility.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Double Agent
    so can she feel good?

i mean if she's having sex and the dude is workin' so hard and the gurl is feelin' nothin'......

lolz..

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    A little off topic, but I saw a chick on TV who was allergic to water. She would cry and her face would break out in blisters. She is the only person ever to be diagnosed with this allergy.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Threads such as this evoke thoughts about genetic engineering, yes?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Its magic baby!
    Originally posted by j2k4@2 March 2004 - 15:59
    Are you saying we should produce an invicible army of super men who can't feel pain and are allergic to water?
    Wiz.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Wizard_Mon1+2 March 2004 - 14:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wizard_Mon1 @ 2 March 2004 - 14:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@2 March 2004 - 15:59
    Are you saying we should produce an invicible army of super men who can&#39;t feel pain and are allergic to water? [/b][/quote]
    Uh, no.

Let me look, just to be sure, though.

Okay, I was right:

Definitely: No.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Sadly such children rarely survive. Without pain there is little or no indication of illness or infection. By the time it is obvious it is usually too late. Normal cuts and infections go unnoticed, where most kids would be ensuring no one gets a nights sleep these children react as if nothing is wrong. Although it is every kids fantasy to be invincible, the reality is a endless daily chore of checking for signs of wear and tear.

Pain is unfortunately essential - although I suppose Mother Nature could have come up with a nice panel of warning lights.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Originally posted by Biggles@2 March 2004 - 23:39
    Mother Nature could have come up with a nice panel of warning lights.
    Threads such as this invoke ideas for genetic engineering, yes?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast