Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Download Speed

Poster
    Originally posted by johnboy27@14 March 2004 - 11:48
    Hate to tell you man but it does actually work for me.Not every time but most of the time it does.I have seen some torrents double in speed and sometimes triple.They don't stay that way for more then say 20 minutes but then you just switch your upload speed back the way it was and wait until your share rating comes back up.
    Yes, it does -- on torrents that have SUFFICIENT seeds and lots of downloaders who can also upload quickly. But it comes at the expense of others.
    MOST broadband lines are ~1,500k down and ~256k up. That means they may be able to download at 150 KB/sec but can't upload faster than 30 KB/sec.
    But if you're downloading a lot faster than you're uploading, then someone else probably isn't -- so at the moment it's "working" for you, it may not be "working" for someone else or even EVERYONE else.

If your goal is to share back at least as much as you downloaded, then you might as well find a middle-of-the-road amount where you upload only a little slower than you download -- unless the torrent is low on seeds. If that's the case, and you're willing to share considerably more than you downloaded later, then download it as fast as you can any way you can and share it back with as high a limit as is stable for your connection. Setting that limit TOO high can really slow down web surfing.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Mine always seems slow as hell... then i leave it on overnight and the magic BT speed up fairies go to work and when i wake up my 1.8gb d/l is done , miracles can happen. I realli dont know what makes it speed up, seems that if you leave it on it does it automatically. I also upload to the defaults for shadows client
    -TiMz

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    jetje's Avatar former star
    disabeling the firewall in the router will not help. I thought that solved my problem, but never got green lights. After enabeling the router firewall again and do a proper portforwarding i got my green lights... and some better speeds using a few sites...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123