Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Case Problems/heat/ I Dont Know.

Recently i got someone to get me a new motherboard because my old one died, and when i got it back it was crashing (just restarting) everyone 30mins, after it had restarted a few times, it would refuse to let windows run (just restarting after its done a POST) i would leave it for 10-15mins and it would work fine untill it crashed again.

Sounds like a heat problem right? Iv added two fans now, an my temps idle on 37(system), 40(CPU) and 97(CPU Kernel{which im not sure what it is}).

But it still crashed like the same, just restarts.

I took the case side off of and started it up and it ran for 8 hours without crashing then i turned it off myself, put the case back on, 30mins later it goes. .

I know the CPU and SYS temps are fine, im not sure about CPU KERNEL temps at 87 though .

Anyway anyone got any ideas? I dont want to add any more fans if possible but i will if need be, but i have a CPU cooler that works, i fan right next to the CPU and one near the graphics card.

Wierd isnt it.....

EDIT: My specs are:

AMD DURON 1.66 XP Not Overclocked.
    512mb DDR RAM
    Geforce 4 MMX 440 128mb
    20gb + 15gb HARD DRIVE
    400Watt BRAND NEW power supply.
    2 BLUE LCD FANS

SECOND EDIT:

And the fans are blowing out cool air at the back, and the PSU blows out not hot air but warm.

Peerzyboy

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    When it is running have you checked the voltages?
    Pull off the side panel, get her going and use MBM or SpeedFan to see what the line voltages are.
    MBM would be better cause it will keep a running record.
    Your temps don't seem high enough to be causing random reboots/crashes.

I have no idea what the hell "kernel temp" is either....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    iv got her running with the sides off now, the same, the temps arn't that hot compared to what she should be able to run at.

Thats a picture of my spped fan, MBM doesnt work on my motherboard for some reason .

Peerzyboy

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    hmmm, sounds like a ventilation problem, make sure airflow = airintake/ airexhaust

by this i mean , its all well and good having lots of fans , but if the air cant get in or out fast enough it will setup a negitave or positive pressure inside the case, in effect nullifying the fans anyway

if you have a fan at the front and a fan at the back , make sure one sux and one blows ( if they both blow it increases neg pressure )

i had this problem when i overclocked the crap out of an athlon and it needed shit loads of cooling, in the end i added more vents in the top of the case and added 2 fans the blew inward, while the front and the back fans blew out

the other way is just leave you case lid off lol, if it works

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    iv just got two fans blowing, none going out.

What do u mean at the top? shall i saw a hole in the top of my case

i can show off my amazing paint skills and draw a diagram for you if you want?

Peerzyboy

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Why is your -12v reading so weird?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    i have no idea

Im not to good with voltage really .

What should it be reading for a AMD DURON XP 1.66 (im trying to say that without looking like im proud of it )

Peerzyboy

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    um yes thats what i did , drill 2 holes in the top of the case, try and reverse one of the fans and see if it helps, it cant hurt, just reverse mount it

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Well, it should be something like -11.95v or so...NOT -.23v.
    You might have a ground problem...although that doesn't explain why it works with the sidepanel off....
    Still, your temps aren't fatally high.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by delphin460@2 March 2004 - 17:40
    um yes thats what i did , drill 2 holes in the top of the case, try and reverse one of the fans and see if it helps, it cant hurt, just reverse mount it
    It CAN hurt, it can hurt my chances of selling this pc when i get a new one cause some 51 year old women complaing that i drilled a fucking hole in it.

ground problem
    I am upstairs

Is there anything i can try before drill shit into shit.

Also i took it down to be repaired because i thought this was something they had done and they had the pc in open space and it worked non stop fine with scase on, but open space here it doesnt.

Peerzyboy

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast