Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me With Windows Xp And A Trojan Horse Plz!

Hi,
    Constantly for about 2 months my AVG Antivirus has popped up a Window Saying

Virus
    Trojan Horse Downloader.Dyfica.AB
    is found in file
    C:\System Volume Information/_restore{025B975B-FBD3-4DE0-899E-8E330F2E49913\RP139\A0046778.ocx
    Please run AVG ANit virus to remove this virus
    Problems is i have run AVG about a Million Times scanning that specific section of my Computer and A complete Scan as well and it finds nothing (well it did find about 5 other different Trojans yesterday but it got rid of them) and that Window Keeps Popping up!!
    Ive tried Browsing to that folder but it says Access is denied so i guess it was in someting i deleted or some thing
    PLz any Advice?

Ok i now i have Some Extreme "HYpothetical" Questions that may be considered illegal IF they Where to be carryed out

Lets just say i have obtained a Copy of Windows XP Pro and installed it on my PC with a legitimate CD key will i still beable to Update it without getting in trouble
    Ive also noticed that some Copies of XP Pro have no activation Time(like 1 month) thingy and others do plz explain the diference between these

Thankyou

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    I also had that problem about one month ago.. I think I did a custom test in AVG in the folder "C:\System Volume Information\", in which I deleted the file. If that does not work, try "The Cleaner".

Lets just say i have obtained a Copy of Windows XP Pro and installed it on my PC with a legitimate CD key will i still beable to Update it without getting in trouble
    Ive also noticed that some Copies of XP Pro have no activation Time(like 1 month) thingy and others do plz explain the diference between these
    Yes, just download Windows Xp Pro Corp. it requires no activation, and in some copies it includes an application called "Windows Xp Key Changer"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    muchspl2
    1 turn off system restore, then start in safe mode and scan that will take care of your virus/trojan
    and 2 yes you can install xp pro corp with out activation or just make sure you download the same OS as your good key, like if you have a xp home key I'm pretty sure you can only use that key on xp home not xp pro or xp corp

To turn off Windows XP System Restore
    Click Start > Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer
    Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    Click the System Restore tab.
    Check the "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives" check box as shown in this illustration:

will delete all existing restore points. Click Yes to do this.
    Click OK.
    Proceed with what you need to do. For example, removing viruses. Restart the computer and follow the instructions to start in safe mode

restart and hit the f8 key and choose safe mode

hope this helps

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Yes, just download Windows Xp Pro Corp. it requires no activation, and in some copies it includes an application called "Windows Xp Key Changer"
    Unfortunatly i am on dial up internet and donwloading such large files not only takes forever but many times doenst DL properly and has files missing from it

So what you are saying is
    1. I can get an XP Pro Corperate CD install a Fresh copy on my computer use my Valid CD key and then proceed to the update site and update as normal without any Legal Mumbo Jumbo Problems?

Thanks for your help with the Virus :beerchug: but iam still alittle wary of Deleting my Restore points is there a way to save them to another part of my HD?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    no guys, that's not necessary
    just follow wat muchspl2 said
    Please be kind to the noobs...we were once them after all

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    u can also check out www.trojanscan.com for a free scan too
    Open your mind

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    muchspl2
    thats the error your getting is the virus is in your restore point
    sometimes I wonder why I bother going through the trouble

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    it sounds like the trojan is in the restore, so just disable and remove all restore points, this will make it go away, run in safe mode when u restart and do an av check just in case but it should be all gone

The real question is why you got it in the first place, a good working up todate a/v checker shouldnt let this happen, i know the one you have is free, but if it lets 1 virus through , then it aint worth squat. all it takes is 1 realy bad virus and it bye bye to your files and a format is the only thing that fixes it

i have been running norton a/v pro 2004 for the past 7 months and not once has it failed, i even downloaded the test file that contains 600 viruses and it stopped them all

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    thats the error your getting is the virus is in your restore point
    sometimes I wonder why I bother going through the trouble
    SOrry i meant no offence i aprrciate the help you gave me

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    muchspl2
    n/p

I use avg 7.0 (pay version) and a firewall and have yet to see a problem in 3 years+ (ONLINE 24-7), avg is fine but I believe he doesn't have a good firewall, thats why he probley got it.
    fyi norton is not the "perfect" AV in fact far from it, its a hugh resource hog and has failed many over the years, good luck to both of you..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast