Thread: Missing "shafilea Ahmed" Body Found In Cumbria

Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Maybe I should have posted this a while back but there was a reason to.

The parents of a 17-year-old girl whose body was found in a Cumbrian river have denied any involvement in her death.
    Detectives believe the body of Shafilea Ahmed had been deliberately hidden at the scene in Sedgwick since the day she went missing in September.

They revealed their findings at a news conference and said DNA tests had been used to confirm her identity.

But moments later, her parents through their solicitor, denied any involvement in their daughter's death.

Speaking on behalf of the family, solicitor Milton Firman said: "Mr and Mrs Ahmed wish to confirm once more that they strenuously deny any direct or indirect involvement in their daughter's untimely demise.

Shafilea's parents, Ifitkar, 44, and Farzana, 41, were present as Mr Firman read out the statement.

Detective Chief Inspector Geraint Jones had earlier stressed that he was "keeping an open mind" about Shafilea's killer and "exploring all avenues".

The teenager disappeared after a holiday in Pakistan during which she met a potential marriage partner.

Her body was discovered three weeks ago on the banks of the River Kent.

Mr Jones said it appeared that the teenager's body had been deliberately hidden.

He said: "Following intense scene examination by forensics experts, it is evident that Shafilea's body had been concealed at the location for some time and perhaps from the night she went missing.

The area where Shafilea was found is popular with tourists and walkers.

And Mr Jones appealed for anyone who was in the vicinity on 11 September or shortly afterwards, who may have seen anything, to come forward.

He declined to comment on speculation that the teenager had been the victim of a so-called "honour killing".

He said: "This term honour killing is not a term I've used during this inquiry.

"We are treating this simply as a murder investigation of a tragic event involving a poor female who has been left in Cumbria having been murdered and that is where we are concentrating our resources.

He said: "Since Shafilea's disappearance we have always been suspicious of the circumstances and from an early stage we were investigating this as a possible murder."

Mr Jones added: "We are investigating all avenues and keeping an open mind as to who has killed Shafilea."

Shafilea's parents were arrested in December on suspicion of abducting their daughter but were released on bail pending further inquiries.
    I've actually known of Shafilea being missing since October but it's only in the past 1-2 months been nationwide news. The sad thing is that I knew Shaf from high school so it kinda seems weird her not being around

I'm just wondering what the national (and international) view of this story is. Of course a lot of people in Warrington and surrounding areas have their own views, but I'm wondering whether there's any views outside of the area, and what such opinions are.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Poster
    This a tragic case Illum, more so for u knowing her. i can't see any parents savage enough to kill their own daughter for 'honour' must be some other season, we'll
    see i hope
    Man U fer eva

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Its magic baby!
    I once saw a video during one of my anthropology lectures that showed a girl that had run away from her arranged marrige to be with another man. Subsequently, she was persued by her father and brother on countless occasions and shot at at least 25 times. To me this is an alien custom but in that culture if a girl does this she seen by the rest of the community as a 'bad woman' not to be trusted, this does not only have an effect of her but also all the other females in her family as they are also classified as 'bad women' which can lead to none off them being able to marry. So if the girl is not punished the rest of the family will suffer socially.

In these counties it is now outlawed but there are still many cases. In regards to this custom in the UK i think that it should be treated serverely. Other people that enter a country must respect the laws of that country. However this is hard to impliment as if they do not respect the laws in their home country why would they do it here.

As i said earlier this is alien to me and it seems like very servere punishment for a person chosing what they want from their life but if i had ben brought out with these beliefs maybe my view would be different. I hope not.
    Wiz.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    It is interesting to know you knew this girl from school, Ill.

Media reports say that the familt moved to Warrington from Bradford. But the way they reported this suggested that they had moved to Warrington after they returned from the trip to Pakistan.

The way it was reported led one to surmise that they had moved so that they would not be very well known in their new area, and consequently Shafilea's disappearance might not be remarked upon. Obviously this is not the case.

Unfortunately with cases of this sort, it is unusual for the perpetrator(s) of the crime to be discovered after this amount of time, unless they are apprehended for something else and chance leads the police back to the original crime.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by lynx@3 March 2004 - 15:53
    It is interesting to know you knew this girl from school, Ill.

Media reports say that the familt moved to Warrington from Bradford. But the way they reported this suggested that they had moved to Warrington after they returned from the trip to Pakistan.
    That's completely bogus.

Shaf had been at the same high school as myself for at least the last four years of high school, possibly the whole time - For that reason, I'd say she lived in Warrington for the past 5-6 years at least.

If she came from Bradford, I'd say it was probably when she was in primary school. I wouldn't know the exact date then.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, I was saying the media reports made it appear that they had only recently moved from Bradford, not that it was actually the case. The fact that you knew her from high school made that unlikely, which you have now confirmed.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    n00b
    I pray justice is done for the poor Shafilea one day
    She made to suffer in her life by the sound of it, her poems say it. By her family.
    Even though how much they deny it, a person of her age does not lie like that

I was totally upset at the time when this was on the news in 2003/2004

I hope the police find who did this to the her. Her memory lives on.
    I just hope the person who did this to such a girl who had ambitious, bright future can live with themselves.

I never knew her, but I will always remember.
    I pray that she is safe now

It has nearly been 3 years

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    n00b
    It was so saddening, The poor poor girl seemed so distressed, Her poems clearly show that
    They were so sad They talked about honour, her family and being trapped
    Why didnt some one ever help her
    Last edited by Happytimes; 06-30-2006 at 12:39 PM.