Thread: A Clever Marketing Technique

I, Robot, a movie based off of an Isaac Asimov story, will be coming out this July.

www.irobotnow.com
    To promote the movie, Fox has set up this little "NS-5" thing. Basically, they make it seem like one of the robots that will be CGed into the movie is actually a real robot that is going to be available for purchase in July as well. The robot shown on the website (above) is displayed with technology that is way ahead of our time (30-50 years).

Why is the site BS?
    3 Laws Safe, the logic protocol claimed to be in the NS-5, is from an Asimov story. The 3 laws are:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Also, the corporation that is apparently building the "NS-5", US Robotics and Mechanical Men, and Dr. Lanning is also from Asimov.

Ya... I have to be honest, I fell for it after having seen an ad displaying the URL in a movie theater (gasp, who could have guessed)

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    already linked in a couple other threads, including this one--
    https://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showt...=0&#entry764392

but yeah. kinda sneaky, that site/trailer.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by dlingeverything@4 March 2004 - 02:55
    I, Robot, a movie based off of an Isaac Asimov story, will be coming out this July.
    Harlan Ellison wrote a screenplay for I, Robot a few years back. I believe it is still
    available. Im pretty sure that this book is the result of a previous failed attempt to make this movie. I really don't know what to say about this film other than this...

With the history this story has in relation to being made, the movie better be damned good.

Ellison's I, Robot

There's no 'I' in 'team'. But then there's no 'I' in 'useless smug colleague', either.
    And there's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'. Go figure.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    The sites are down now , but Rare used a similar trick for Perfect Dark - they launched sites for the two major companies in the game (DataDyne and Carrington Institute) which could pass for real corporate websites - they then released "passwords" so people could access corporate e-mail , security footage etc. Very neat.

From when the story broke.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Poster
    Oh also there were those plant sites for A.I.

There was a site for android rights, and I think a faculty registry page for Janine Salla (One of the characters in the movie) and other things like that..

There's no 'I' in 'team'. But then there's no 'I' in 'useless smug colleague', either.
    And there's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'. Go figure.