Thread: Problem With A Non-existent Firewall

A reply on a different topic made want do a research on something I was told on another forum.

I have been getting ' You're behind a firewall ' messages in Overnet. I don't have any kind of firewall software installed in my computer and the firewall in XP is disabled. The computer isn't conected to a router. I've tried changing the ports and nothing happened. I'm using a Motorola Surfboard SB5100.

Anyway, I was told in the Overnet forum that the reason I was getting those messages is because my isp gave an private ip adress but, after doing some research I found out that this is quite unlikely.

My question is: Is this true? Or is the source of the problem something completely different?

P.S. I have a 512K/s connection and my max download speed in Overnet was 4K/s (2.*K/s and 1.*K/s)

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    powerstick's Avatar Poster
    your isp is lying to you. They probably have a hardware firewall. Mine did and it took me 3 times talking to them for them to admit that they had one. The 4th time they said that they would disable it after I talked to the owner. They asked me why I wanted it disabled and I told them because some of my sharing programs say that I am firewalled and I have checked my whole pc and I am not. That means you guys are.
    Make your files the smallest possible to share. If you don't you how I recomend DR. DivX. It will do it for you. We don't want to have to dl that 2.5 gig sh*t for a movie or 2 SVCD's. SMALLEST FORMAT ALWAYS!!!!!!

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Thanks, I'm going to talk to them today. Hopefuly they'll solve that problem because I can't really change to another isp since they're the only half decent one in town.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    BANNED
    have you tried ports in the 3000 instead of 4000 ranges??

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by incognita@4 March 2004 - 23:24
    The computer isn't conected to a router. I've tried changing the ports and nothing happened. I'm using a Motorola Surfboard SB5100.
    I think a router or at least firewall is built into that model of cablemodem.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    BANNED
    Originally posted by Switeck+5 March 2004 - 14:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 5 March 2004 - 14:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-incognita@4 March 2004 - 23:24
    The computer isn&#39;t conected to a router. I&#39;ve tried changing the ports and nothing happened. I&#39;m using a Motorola Surfboard SB5100.
    I think a router or at least firewall is built into that model of cablemodem. [/b][/quote]
    that is very true i&#39;ve seen and heard of modems lately that have a built in firewall

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    I tried the 3000 ports and I still got the &#39;you&#39;re behind a firewall&#39; message.

As for the built-in router, I hadn&#39;t thought about it but you can connect two computers to that modem without the need of a router or any type of sotfware. Does that count as a built in router? If so, is there anything I can do about it?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    BANNED
    Originally posted by incognita@5 March 2004 - 15:39
    I tried the 3000 ports and I still got the &#39;you&#39;re behind a firewall&#39; message.

As for the built-in router, I hadn&#39;t thought about it but you can connect two computers to that modem without the need of a router or any type of sotfware. Does that count as a built in router? If so, is there anything I can do about it?
    call the modem copany and ask them, i belive that is a built in router, if so you need to forward the 2 ports for overnet in the router/modem

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Nope, no firewall or router in that surfboard, that&#39;s what I&#39;m running. I have xp with the firewall disabled and zonealarm running. No problems with overnet.

I would double check that xp firewall, and complain to the isp. Sorry, I don&#39;t have any better suggestions.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    BANNED
    Originally posted by Jg427@5 March 2004 - 19:02
    Nope, no firewall or router in that surfboard, that&#39;s what I&#39;m running. I have xp with the firewall disabled and zonealarm running. No problems with overnet.

I would double check that xp firewall, and complain to the isp. Sorry, I don&#39;t have any better suggestions.
    well thats man listen to what he says