Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting A New Case

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker+6 March 2004 - 21:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 6 March 2004 - 21:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@6 March 2004 - 17:14
    and make sure the wire hooking up the power supply to the motherboard is a long rectangle with 20 wires.
    This won&#39;t matter if he uses the stock PSU and mobo.

And, not to put too fine a point on it, it&#39;s actually a 20 pin connector with 21 wires.
    Feeling pedantic this evening am I. [/b][/quote]
    21 wires? i just counted the wires on my old power supply and there are 20. 20 pins on the atx connector also.

and i thought he was oing to be using the power supply that came with his new case (im assuming he got one with the new case).

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+7 March 2004 - 01:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 &#064; 7 March 2004 - 01:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by clocker@6 March 2004 - 21:53
    <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004
    @6 March 2004 - 17:14
    and make sure the wire hooking up the power supply to the motherboard is a long rectangle with 20 wires.

This won&#39;t matter if he uses the stock PSU and mobo.

And, not to put too fine a point on it, it&#39;s actually a 20 pin connector with 21 wires.
    Feeling pedantic this evening am I.
    21 wires? i just counted the wires on my old power supply and there are 20. 20 pins on the atx connector also.

and i thought he was oing to be using the power supply that came with his new case (im assuming he got one with the new case). [/b][/quote]
    I have ordered this one. It does come with a PSU so i am going to use the one in my current case

(when you pull them out see if the front is attached to the drive or if it stays attached to the case).
    What happens if the front stays attached? (BTW i havnt tried to take it out)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Marius24@7 March 2004 - 12:00
    (when you pull them out see if the front is attached to the drive or if it stays attached to the case).
    What happens if the front stays attached? (BTW i havnt tried to take it out)
    It&#39;s where the front is part of the old case that you need to worry, because then you haven&#39;t got a front panel when you put it in your new case.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    I&#39;m sure that the CD drives are ok but the Floppy Drive has a cover over it. I will open my computer and try and see what what is up

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    If they dont have pannels will I still be able to use them? I will be able to get some new ones cheap but until then would it be ok to use them without front pannels?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    If your drives turn out not to have covers you might be able to mod the blanking plates that will come with your new case to suit.
    Could look kinda cool, actually.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@7 March 2004 - 12:55
    If your drives turn out not to have covers you might be able to mod the blanking plates that will come with your new case to suit.
    Could look kinda cool, actually.
    so it would still work without the cover? The drive would be hidden behind the door anyway and I am kinda creative. It might look good with a home-made cover

Thanks Clocker

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Oh sure, it will still work...the covers are only eye candy not functional pieces.
    Prolly good as dust excluders though, so you&#39;ll want to do something to keep cat hair and dust bunnies from getting into the tray gearing and gumming up the works....

Edit:
    An easy and effective way to do this is...

1) If you&#39;re lucky, your new case&#39;s blanking plates will have tabs on the sides which basically " snap" the plate into place.
    Cut these off.

2).Using double-sided tape ( preferably the ultra sticky foam type), stick this plate onto the tray cover of your drive. With any luck, there will be enough wobble of the plate that you can push on the corner and activate the open/close button of the drive.
    If not, you may have to build up the button a little to get it to work.

3). If you are really ambitious, it&#39;s pretty easy to bypass the stock open/close button altogether and just add a remote switch anywhere that is convenient.

Look here for a guide...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    sweet&#33; thanks

would the case door that im getting with it keep some dust out?

(this case)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    I&#39;m sure it will and frankly, dust isn&#39;t really that big of an issue.
    The gearing for your trays is plastic and runs with no oil/grease, so it would have to be pretty clogged up before it failed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast