Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing A New Hd...

Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    well, im soon to get my dads old P2 233. im going 2 use it for school, and kazaa. hell i mite even buy a decient sound card so i can listen to music loud in my room, with out the computer locking up. but the HD is only 2gb. ad if im goiong 2 dl movies, im going 2 need more than that. so i no how to to the installing part, but after ive hooked it up, wut do i do? i want my old 2gb HD, and i mite buy a 30-40 gb drive for kazaa and such. how do i go about doing this? ive heard ppl use big words like partioning. but i need something more than that. does anyone have a complete idiots uide to this stuff?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    i would recomend you dont use the old 2gb and just use the enw drive as it will give you much faster performance for that old computer.

If you decide to use the new drive for windows:
    1. attach the drive into the compuetr and hook it up to the primary ide cable and set the jumper to master.
    2. Insert a windows 98 boot disc into your floppy drive and turn on computer, then at the prompt type fdisk and press enter.
    3. Press whatever key it says to press to display a list of partitions. if is alerady one skip ahead to step 5. if none are present goo to step 4.
    4. go back to first page of fdisk and type 1 to create a partition. follow steps to create it. reboot when asked.
    5. Go back to the dos prompt by restarting computer with floppy still in. now type format C: and press enter then wait for it to finish.
    6. you can now use your operating system cd to install an operating system.
    note: i recomend you make two partitons on the drive, second being a logical. make your first one around 8gb and the second can be the rest of the free space.

if you decide to use the old drive for windows and new for storage:
    1. attach the drive into the compuetr and hook it up to the primary ide cable and set the jumper to master.
    2. Boot into windows and the drive should show in my computer and raw space, you can then right click it and go to format. if not continue to next step, if it does you are done.
    3. download partition magic 8 from kazaa lite.
    4. install and run it. select the drive you want to partition and select create new partition. create it using all of the free space.
    5. you are now done.

if you have any questions about anything feel free to post them. im sure you will since some of my info may be inaccurate, im writing all of this off the top of my head.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    doesn't windows take up about 2gbs?
    if ur pc has 2gbs aint ur pc a bit old?
    i had/have a pc with a 20gb hard drive and thats 5 years old...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    That thing will barley play movies huh haha oh well...

Buy a new one and dont use the old one for sure. But get 80GB at least.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@3 March 2004 - 08:38

Buy a new one and dont use the old one for sure. But get 80GB at least.
    if he can live with 2gb i think 40gb will be good for him.

plus you said he cant play movies on that thing so whats there to fill up the drive anyway?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    hmm a 233 would have trouble playing the movies, i have a 400 and it only just plays the movie without stopping, or freezing, and ive got a gforce 2 mx in it

i agree, best not go buyin a 80 gig hd, if its for movies b4 you try and see if it will play them in the first place

save yer dough, i picked up a pent 866 intel ( the whole box with 256 meg ram ) for $180 at auction, and it had a 10 gig drive in it and a burner

thats like the price of a good hd lol

worth thinking about

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    i got a 466 (sumpin like that) for free from a customer who thought it was dead. you can always take that old comp and OC it till it lights on fire. it would be fun to watch save up a few bucks and get a dell, they got good deals around 400 bucks. or just hit a few pawn shops. or, buy an older 423 pin mobo like an intel 850. its a P4 and it prolly only cost about 50 bucks or so

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@3 March 2004 - 05:38

Buy a new one and dont use the old one for sure.  But get 80GB at least.
    BEE nice Youbee . Run win 98 on it don't try gaming you'll be fine.

A p2 233 sure beats my first computer. Just know its limitations and learn. Ah shit tear it apart look at everthing, how it fits and such you'll learn . Beats seating in front of the tv I wouldn't put any money in to it tho find a used hd upgrade to a 10 gb $20.00 bucks?

Memory?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    JunkBarMan's Avatar Milk Sucks,Got Beer?
    I got an old WD 4.3 gig I'll sell ya for $10(U.S.), or an old WD 10gig for $20...
    Today is the day.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Tell you what...I'll take the two HDDs and you pay me $30..
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast