Thread: Onboard Sound

Keikan's Avatar ........
    Should i use onboard sound or go get a sound card
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    With that spec, even a SoundblasterLive! is gonna be a step in the right direction.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    this computer already has a sound card i mean teh one i'm gonna get it has onboard sound should i get a sound card?
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Do you want to tell us which one you're getting?
    Y'know it makes a difference, cos people like PCChips and ECS make dire boards, but Epox, Asus and Soltek () make good ones.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Keikan@7 March 2004 - 10:36
    this computer already has a sound card i mean teh one i'm gonna get it has onboard sound should i get a sound card?
    I would get a soundcard and disable the onboard because onbboards eat up your CPU.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Evil Gemini+7 March 2004 - 10:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Evil Gemini @ 7 March 2004 - 10:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Keikan@7 March 2004 - 10:36
    this computer already has a sound card i mean teh one i&#39;m gonna get it has onboard sound should i get a sound card?
    I would get a soundcard and disable the onboard because onbboards eat up your CPU. [/b][/quote]
    Again, it depends on the mobo.

If it is simply an AC97 interface then the cpu will probably be doing the work.
    But some boards have a built in sound processor. For example, the Asus Deluxe range have an onboard Dolby processor, which takes the work away from the cpu. It&#39;s a lot cheaper to get the Deluxe board than to get the standard board and buy a separate sound card.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by lynx@7 March 2004 - 05:00

But some boards have a built in sound processor. For example, the Asus Deluxe range have an onboard Dolby processor, which takes the work away from the cpu. It&#39;s a lot cheaper to get the Deluxe board than to get the standard board and buy a separate sound card.
    Quite right.
    In fact, the Soundstorm ( I believe that&#39;s the clever marketing name) onboard of my Deluxe beats the pants off the Soundblaster Extigy that I used before.
    Well worth it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    racer II's Avatar Poster
    I love the onboard sound on my asus A7N8X deluxe mobo
    System:
    LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    Xfx 7900gt extreme
    2x Maxtor 250gb sata
    2x Maxtor 80gb (p)ata
    2x 512mb mem , dual channel
    Tagan 580w psu
    Coolermaster stacker case
    Zalman reserator 1

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Chewie UK@7 March 2004 - 06:36
    Do you want to tell us which one you&#39;re getting?
    Y&#39;know it makes a difference, cos people like PCChips and ECS make dire boards, but Epox, Asus and Soltek () make good ones.
    i have an ecs board and although the board is complete crap all around, the sound is better than the sound of my old asus board (of course that board is 6 years old). The sound quality of the ecs is good but teh only prbolems are that it eats up the cpu a little (not too much, a lot when in 3d sound) and it is only 2 channels.