Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tv Tuners

hey, just a quicky, if you have a TV tuner card such as THIS one, and you want to watch tv on your comp, is that just streaming television? or is it actual tv, just like on a regular tv?
    does it use up bandwidth?
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@7 March 2004 - 21:44
    hey, just a quicky, if you have a TV tuner card such as THIS one, and you want to watch tv on your comp, is that just streaming television? or is it actual tv, just like on a regular tv?
    does it use up bandwidth?
    you plug in the cable\antenna\satelite to the tv tuner card and through software you control the channel and can choose to record if youd like too, it does not use up any bandwidth. its basically like your computer being a television, expecially if u have a remote.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@7 March 2004 - 22:50
    you plug in the cable\antenna\satelite to the tv tuner card and through software you control the channel and can choose to record if youd like too, it does not use up any bandwidth. its basically like your computer being a television, expecially if u have a remote.
    Nice! so, if I were to get a TV Tuner card, and an old VCR, I could have my own media center kinda....
    And this whole watching tv on your comp, this is something my 9600XT can't do? I need a TV Tuner card as well?
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by kaiweiler+7 March 2004 - 21:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 7 March 2004 - 21:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@7 March 2004 - 22:50
    you plug in the cable&#092;antenna&#092;satelite to the tv tuner card and through software you control the channel and can choose to record if youd like too, it does not use up any bandwidth. its basically like your computer being a television, expecially if u have a remote.
    Nice&#33; so, if I were to get a TV Tuner card, and an old VCR, I could have my own media center kinda....
    And this whole watching tv on your comp, this is something my 9600XT can&#39;t do? I need a TV Tuner card as well? [/b][/quote]
    if ur vid card is VIVO (video in video out) it will be able to capture video from a vcr or dvd but you wont be able to hook up an antenna&#092;cable&#092;sattelite so what i would do in that situation is hook up the vcr and use it to change the channels. but it would still be best to buy a tv tuner card.

and prety much all video cards these days have tv out through svideo so if u have a tv with svideo input you will be able to see the computer on your tv.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@7 March 2004 - 23:00
    if ur vid card is VIVO (video in video out) it will be able to capture video from a vcr or dvd but you wont be able to hook up an antenna&#092;cable&#092;sattelite so what i would do in that situation is hook up the vcr and use it to change the channels. but it would still be best to buy a tv tuner card.

and prety much all video cards these days have tv out through svideo so if u have a tv with svideo input you will be able to see the computer on your tv.
    yeah my card is VIVO, but I think I might go with a tv tuner card as well, that&#39;d be a nice add-on
    oh and negative on the tv with svideo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by kaiweiler+7 March 2004 - 22:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler &#064; 7 March 2004 - 22:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@7 March 2004 - 23:00

yeah my card is VIVO, but I think I might go with a tv tuner card as well, that&#39;d be a nice add-on
    oh and negative on the tv with svideo [/b][/quote]
    ahh ic well you could buy an svideo to rca cable (might have came with your video card) or you can buy a little box thing i forgot what they are called but it converts the signal from svideo-to-rca or coaxial (cable wires). im going to buy one since i know that it will work with my video card and im not so sure about the svideo-to-rca cable working on my video card.

edit: i must be really bored, i posted only 2 minutes after your post, 5 before the other one, and 6 before your first post.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@7 March 2004 - 23:06
    ahh ic well you could buy an svideo to rca cable (might have came with your video card) or you can buy a little box thing i forgot what they are called but it converts the signal from svideo-to-rca or coaxial (cable wires). im going to buy one since i know that it will work with my video card and im not so sure about the svideo-to-rca cable working on my video card.

edit: i must be really bored, i posted only 2 minutes after your post, 5 before the other one, and 6 before your first post.
    lol well, I am not so concerned with using a tv as my monitor, as much as being able to watch tv on my comp, that&#39;s more important atm...
    but all I&#39;d need would be an old VCR and a TV Tuner card, and I could watch tv on my comp? thats it?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by kaiweiler+7 March 2004 - 22:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 7 March 2004 - 22:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@7 March 2004 - 23:06
    ahh ic well you could buy an svideo to rca cable (might have came with your video card) or you can buy a little box thing i forgot what they are called but it converts the signal from svideo-to-rca or coaxial (cable wires).&nbsp; im going to buy one since i know that it will work with my video card and im not so sure about the svideo-to-rca cable working on my video card.

lol well, I am not so concerned with using a tv as my monitor, as much as being able to watch tv on my comp, that&#39;s more important atm...
    but all I&#39;d need would be an old VCR and a TV Tuner card, and I could watch tv on my comp? thats it? [/b][/quote]
    uhh pretty much. well you need a free pci slot on your motherboard and if the card doesnt come with any software, you will need to either buy or download something. other than that the tv tuner card is pretty much all you need to buy.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lol pci slots are no issue whatsoever&#33; I have plenty, 5 empty I believe.....
    and I&#39;ll get a retail TV tuner card so I get the software and all that jazz too.
    then the only problem is wiring my cable tv into my room from downstairs&#33; and this IS necessary isn&#39;t it?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@7 March 2004 - 22:18
    lol pci slots are no issue whatsoever&#33; I have plenty, 5 empty I believe.....
    and I&#39;ll get a retail TV tuner card so I get the software and all that jazz too.
    then the only problem is wiring my cable tv into my room from downstairs&#33; and this IS necessary isn&#39;t it?
    yes u will have to. i see you got ur computer in your room, same B)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast