Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adsl Modems

Poster
    thanks for the advise guys....

however im still confused to whether or not i should go for the external ethernet modem like most of you said or the PCI modem that Amarjit recommended

If you want both the maximum speed speed and best value go for PCI (Internal). For £23, I got an ADSL PCI PPPoA WAN modem, a microfilter and one RJ-11 cable.
    that sounds good doesnt it?

i dont need a router at the moment because im still at home but once every blue moon my mates bring ther PCs around and we go nuts on out LAN games

when i move outta home i will look into getting a router with my flat mates but this isnt important at the moment. i just want a single adsl modem

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by dray_02@8 March 2004 - 17:31
    thanks for the advise guys....

however im still confused to whether or not i should go for the external ethernet modem like most of you said or the PCI modem that Amarjit recommended

If you want both the maximum speed speed and best value go for PCI (Internal). For £23, I got an ADSL PCI PPPoA WAN modem, a microfilter and one RJ-11 cable.

i dont need a router at the moment because im still at home but once every blue moon my mates bring ther PCs around and we go nuts on out LAN games

when i move outta home i will look into getting a router with my flat mates but this isnt important at the moment. i just want a single adsl modem
    dont most isp's GIVE you a modem? im pretty sure that bell over here in canada does, nobody do that where u live?

edit: i would buy teh external modem you arent going to notice a speed difference and it will save you having to buy a new external modem in the future when you get a router (when u get a router you WILL want an external modem, a router can automatically sign into the dsl service for you and then you wont have to have a server for the internet to work)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@8 March 2004 - 22:35
    dont most isp's GIVE you a modem? im pretty sure that bell over here in canada does, nobody do that where u live?
    That's on the condition that your ISP is inflexible - a prime example being BT.

Merely very good. It comprises of the essentials to accessing the internet via DSL.

BTW, the decision of purchasing a router at a later date is not influenced upon the condition of being in possession of an internal/external modem, as the vast majority of routers are readily equipped with DSL modems.

In addition, if your scenario is of similarity to that of mine, in being in ownership of a fairly dated motherboard, then you're likely to be in a situation of merely benefitting from a 10.24Mbps Ethernet NIC rather than 102.4/1024Mbps one, which has no triumphing benefit over USB. USB is subsequently rivalled by opposing PCI modems which attract the consumer in being reputable for ease of use, performance, practicality. What significant usage is there of a narrowband modem incoviniently occupying a PCI slot, which potentially could be replaced by a superior device.

I hope this helps, for a cheap PCI modem: http://search.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ss_Pci_modem_adsl.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12