Thread: Mod Chips, Boot Discs, Slide Cards?

For PS2 and XBox, I was thinking about using the Boot Disc/Slide Card method (is there one for XBox?). However, I don't know if I wan a boot disc or mod chip, and before I choose, I need to know the answers to the following questions as they apply to each method.

1. Will this void my PS2/XBox's warranty? Will Sony/Microsoft be able to tell I've used a Boot Disc or Mod Chip?
    2. Can I play burned games online?
    3. If not, can I use my original games to play online after I've used the Boot Disc or Mod Chip? Or does using a either of these methods leave a permanent mark somewhere in the system that would allow Sony/Microsoft to see I've used a Boot Disc or Mod Chip when I try to connect to an online game? (That DNAS stuff for PS2 and the whole XBox Live for XBox).

I seriouly want to use this for legit reasons, I already lost one copy of Halo to my brother scratching it, I don't want it to happen again. So basically just tell me how each method applies to the question (i.e. Mod Chips will leave a mark on your system, boot discs will not [I think that's how it goes])

Edit: My PS2 says SCPH-39001 on the back and my burner only burns DVD+R(W).

2. Games   -   #2
    well to use the swap disc and the slider thing u gotta break off a piece of the ps2..
    yeah.

3. Games   -   #3
    By break do u mean I can never put it back on?

4. Games   -   #4
    Lick My Lovepump
    I hear premods are coming down in price. You could always take a PS2 to one of those computer fair things where pro type people will fit a mod-chip for you.

5. Games   -   #5
    Originally posted by DWells55@8 March 2004 - 11:53
    For PS2 and XBox, I was thinking about using the Boot Disc/Slide Card method (is there one for XBox?). However, I don't know if I wan a boot disc or mod chip, and before I choose, I need to know the answers to the following questions as they apply to each method.

1. Will this void my PS2/XBox's warranty? Will Sony/Microsoft be able to tell I've used a Boot Disc or Mod Chip?
    2. Can I play burned games online?
    3. If not, can I use my original games to play online after I've used the Boot Disc or Mod Chip? Or does using a either of these methods leave a permanent mark somewhere in the system that would allow Sony/Microsoft to see I've used a Boot Disc or Mod Chip when I try to connect to an online game? (That DNAS stuff for PS2 and the whole XBox Live for XBox).

I seriouly want to use this for legit reasons, I already lost one copy of Halo to my brother scratching it, I don't want it to happen again.  So basically just tell me how each method applies to the question (i.e. Mod Chips will leave a mark on your system, boot discs will not [I think that's how it goes])

Edit: My PS2 says SCPH-39001 on the back and my burner only burns DVD+R(W).
    1. Mod-chips will void your warranty they will probably be able to tell that you have used one (by opening your ps2, you void your warranty). As far as i know the xbox does not have a boot disc. For the ps2 on the other hand, the wont be able to tell if you have used a boot didc (swap-method).

2. You wont be able to play games online. Especially if its a n EA game.

3. The Xbox Live is supposed to scan if you have modified your system when you try to connect and ban you. For ps2, the DNAS scans to see if you have booted any discs prior to the game you are going to play. If they notice the have used a boot disc they will ban you for a few hours, then a day, then a week, then a month, then forever from the game.

Its legal to buy a mod-chip but not use it (like a "black" box). You have an older model ps2 so i would go ahead and get a mod-chip. Your warranty has probably expired. I have found a site where they sell version 1-7 for only 9 bucks. B)

EDIT: If you are wondering you have a version 7 ps2
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

6. Games   -   #6
    Okay, if I put in my original copy of a game and don't use a boot disc, can I play online with that? Or is any chance I ever have of playing online killed as soon as I put a boot disc in my system?

7. Games   -   #7
    The info about you booting a disc is slored in the ram, when you reset the system, it all gets cleared out. So you will be able to go online after that with an original disc. If you get your xbox modded, make sure you get one that can "sleep" that way you can sorta... turn it off so to speak before the system recognizes it.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.