Thread: Spyware Discussion

Ok, i'm begin to be really nervous and upsad about ad-aware/spyware removal programs : the very know Lavasoft Ad-aware doesn't detect a shit, SpywareSweeper from Webroot seems to be a toy not a program and is very slow, Pest Patrol its a very strange program from a very strange company ( i don't trust them ) , SpyBot seems to be the best until know but still need development.So my questions : Why not all the software houses don't have all the updates ? Why what SpyBot detect Ad-aware don't ? or viceversa ?? Wtf is wrong ? seems to be a worldwide conspiracy

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Those opinions about those products pretty much mirror my own SH.

This is what I do. I use a layered protection scheme. I use little programs that do specific things. Not bulky programs that try to do everything.

Avast!4 home AV, Sygate personal firewall, SpywareBlaster, RegistryProt 2.0 & ScripTrap. These little free programs stop virtually everything.

And xp-AntiSpy, SpyBot S&D and Adaware6, (also all freeware) to 1st get rid of that M$ crap & the last two to check I'm free of spy/adware.

You could substitute your own AV & PF (although I believe Sygate is the best). And substitute scriptdefender for scriptrap. Other than that I believe the others are essential. That combined with common sense.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I guess if I wasn't so intent on getting free or cracked programs I would demand more from a proggey I paid for.

I do use and recomend Spybot tho.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    On windows the only thing I use is spybot. I refuse to force-feed my pc with unecessary programs that really are just a waste of memory and cpu.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    as well as spybot i use spyware guard, its like auto protect against spyware, its stops it b4 it gets into your pc, and also protects against bho's ( bho is when a web page or program tries to change your IE home page ect)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    h1
    Originally posted by sharedholder@10 March 2004 - 19:17
    Why not all the software houses don't have all the updates ? Why what SpyBot detect Ad-aware don't ? or viceversa ?? Wtf is wrong ? seems to be a worldwide conspiracy
    Because that would be antitrust.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Ok, i have enough of spyware removal progs. i will make a experiment . a month i will not use a spyware removal program to see what's happened. Wish me luck.