Thread: Game Type Abbreviations

Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    I thought i might post this, seing as this is game world, with the hope that this might help someone.

RPG -Role Playing Game

Typically fantasy and science fiction genres, RPGs let players create and develop characters in a simulated world where events unfold over time.- example :The Diablo Series

RTS -Real Time Stragety

In strategy games, players control assets, such as natural resources, business empires and military units, against opponents in a bid to accumulate wealth, power and territory. - example :The Age of empires series.

MMOG - Massive Multiplayer Online Games

These games feature huge virtual territories supported by massive server networks that let thousands, even tens or hundreds of thousands of players interact simultaneously. The most popular types of games in this category at present tend to be fantasy and science-fiction role-playing games- example :Everquest

FPS - First Person Shooter

First-person shooters are a popular type of action games where each individual player takes on the world, or at least the bad guys, in gunplay scenarios that include military special forces, spy missions, sci-fi mutant invasions, cops and robbers and beyond.- example :Halflife

Sim - Simulations

Simulation applies broadly to games that render realistic, real-time action, normally in first-person perspectives, to simulate various experiences, such as driving a race car, flying a fighter jet, navigating a spacecraft or physical combat. - example :Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004

Action & Adventure Games

As opposed to strategy games, action games feature fast-paced simulations ranging from virtual team sports, extreme sports, car racing and space travel to bounding adventures, martial arts, shoot outs and all out warfare.- example :Syberia

MMORPG- Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

The difference between an MMORPG and an online RPG or multiplayer game is quite significant. Most multiplayer games are not designed to support well over one thousand simultaneous players, while an MMORPG is designed from the ground up, with the sole purpose to support over one thousand simultaneous players. - example: Everquest.

This should clear up some stuff for some people who were a little confused about what those abbreviations ment.

-Andrew

2. Games   -   #2
    Poster
    u forgot:

MMORPG

Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game - i see that quite often...

3. Games   -   #3
    Maybe you can also include some names of games that would fit the types.

4. Games   -   #4
    **UPDATED***

5. Games   -   #5
    Poster
    is management a genre, i know some class that as sim. but rollercoaster tycoon and flight sim are kinda different
    A good game is still good if its late, a bad game is bad forever, Shigeru Miyamoto

6. Games   -   #6
    i think rollercoaster tycoon falls under the RTS genre