Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dna Computers

Millions of natural supercomputers exist inside living organisms, including your body. DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) molecules, the material our genes are made of, have the potential to perform calculations many times faster than the world's most powerful human-built computers. DNA might one day be integrated into a computer chip to create a so-called biochip that will push computers even faster. DNA molecules have already been harnessed to perform complex mathematical problems.

While still in their infancy, DNA computers will be capable of storing billions of times more data than your personal computer. In this article, you'll learn how scientists are using genetic material to create nano-computers that might take the place of silicon-based computers in the next decade.
    Read this. Its very very cool and amazing imo.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dna-computer.htm

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    This has been out for years. They use 'gel packs' in USS Voyager They are made of living matter.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    in david cronenberg's movie "existenz," about virtual reality games, one of the games-within-the-game consists of these little computer pods made out of mutant amphibian parts. it kinda extends an idea from his older movie "videodrome"-- the "new flesh" idea that the synthetic and organic have been figuratively blending into new forms of technology and new forms of life, and that in the future this blending will be quite literal to the point where organism and machine will be easily interchangeable at all levels.

someday, there will prolly be no small controversy over what the difference between organism and machine actually is, when artificial intelligence grows into something that is equivalent to human consciousness, and people who were born as 100% organic humans develop into cyborg mixtures of organic and synthetic parts through medical/surgical advancements. sort of like the abortion debate that's going on now, the big questions will be "what constitutes life? what qualifies something as a living, conscious being? can lines even be drawn anymore between the natural and the artificial? have the 'laws of nature' become completely obsolete?"

maybe not in our lifetimes or our grandchildren's lifetimes, but some generation down the line from us might have to wrestle with such a philosophical problem. it's all very ponderous, to say the least.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    thats pretty cool. how many ghz we talking here

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    We are talking higher than GHz

Yeah, as someone already metioned the idea has been out for a while.....I'd love to have my body biomodded, have my dna performing calculations for me....think of the potential, the more we know about DNA the closer we are to controlling it, curing diseases....I just hope the technologys around before I go.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    ApacNTS's Avatar Helljumper
    thats a very interesting read, but dna has it's defiencies like anything else, i wonder how they'd combat it? if a virus attacked dna, could they cure it or would you computer just turn into dead material? sounds great in theory, but what would it be like in reality?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    if they start making computers out of DNA they will proberly take it too far and make computers have personallitys and take over the world

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by ApacNTS@12 March 2004 - 15:43
    thats a very interesting read, but dna has it's defiencies like anything else, i wonder how they'd combat it? if a virus attacked dna, could they cure it or would you computer just turn into dead material? sounds great in theory, but what would it be like in reality?
    thats kinda funny, but also scary. hackers will look for holes in the DNA and create viruses which are deadly to the computer, and could also kill humans and the entire exeistence of all living organisms

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+12 March 2004 - 20:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 12 March 2004 - 20:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ApacNTS@12 March 2004 - 15:43
    thats a very interesting read, but dna has it&#39;s defiencies like anything else, i wonder how they&#39;d combat it?&nbsp; if a virus attacked dna, could they cure it or would you computer just turn into dead material?&nbsp; sounds great in theory, but what would it be like in&nbsp; reality?
    thats kinda funny, but also scary. hackers will look for holes in the DNA and create viruses which are deadly to the computer, and could also kill humans and the entire exeistence of all living organisms [/b][/quote]
    i doubt they would have viruses that could kill humans from the computer. However viruses could be create that would infect the DNA so it would need to be replaced. Also how much would the DNA stuff cost?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    this stuff will probly start happening when he reach Terahurtz (THz).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast