Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Purify H2o2?

Ok, i havnt put much thought into this, and it sounds too easy, but if you were to take comercial H2O2 3% to 97% H2O stuff for cuts, and heat it around 125 C (H2O2 boils at 150, water at 100), could you purify it?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    how about just go to a store and buy aquafina?

3. Lounge   -   #3
    What? Monkeee? I meant to get like 30% H2O2, not to purify the water Ive been searching around the net and seen people mention freezing it to purify it, no details though hmmm

I guess if you barely freeze the solution, the ice forming on top will be mostly H2O up to the point where the H2O2 is at 62%. It also said the H2O2 freezes at a fairly similar point, so is there any way i could test how pure the end product is? Thanks

Looked it up, water freezes at 0 o' course.. H2O2 freezes at -0.4

Another site said boiling worked, but was tricky and that the H2O2 was VERY likely to decompose before it should and set off a chain reaction igniting most of the H2O2 hahah

@Monkeee: I dont want the water damnit, the udder stuff!!

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    Originally posted by DirtyDan@19 March 2004 - 05:50
    What? Monkeee? I meant to get like 30% H2O2, not to purify the water Ive been searching around the net and seen people mention freezing it to purify it, no details though hmmm

I guess if you barely freak the solution, the ice forming on top will be mostly H2O up to the point where the H2O2 is at 62%. It also said the H2O2 freezes at a fairly similar point, so is there any way i could test how pure the end product is? Thanks
    i have no idea what u just said so imma just say it again..

how about just go to a store and buy aquafina?

5. Lounge   -   #5
    h1
    You can't purify H^2O^2 to more than a 67% solute using that method. If you supersaturate H^2O^2 in H^2O, you get a solution that packs slightly more power than C^3H^6N^6O^6.

BTW, that's RDX.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Wow, thats no good. Im not aiming at getting it that high, but thats nice to know. Do you happen to know any details on the freezing method? With 0.4 degrees its going to be tricky as hell

7. Lounge   -   #7
    h1
    Are you talking about fractal crystallization?

8. Lounge   -   #8
    h1
    If so, read this.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Thanks for the link, it was interesting but sounded quite complicated. Here's a faq i was looking at, and it mentions freezing H2O2, but doesnt have too much details as to a good process. I might just start screwing around, i dont know how im going to regulate the temperature yet but hell its worth a try

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Found THIS if it's any use to you (may be easy than having to do all that science stuff)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast