Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fbi Adds To Wiretap Wish List: Your Cable And Dsl

muchspl2
    This is just the first segment of the story, you can read the whole thing here:
    http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-5172...l?tag=nefd_top

FBI adds to wiretap wish list

A far-reaching proposal from the FBI, made public Friday, would require all broadband Internet providers, including cable modem and DSL companies, to rewire their networks to support easy wiretapping by police.

The FBI's request to the Federal Communications Commission aims to give police ready access to any form of Internet-based communications. If approved as drafted, the proposal could dramatically expand the scope of the agency's wiretap powers, raise costs for cable broadband companies and complicate Internet product development.

Legal experts said the 85-page filing includes language that could be interpreted as forcing companies to build back doors into everything from instant messaging and voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) programs to Microsoft's Xbox Live game service. The introduction of new services that did not support a back door for police would be outlawed, and companies would be given 15 months to make sure that existing services comply.

"The importance and the urgency of this task cannot be overstated," says the proposal, which is also backed by the U.S. Department of Justice and the Drug Enforcement Administration. "The ability of federal, state and local law enforcement to carry out critical electronic surveillance is being compromised today."

Because the eavesdropping scheme has the support of the Bush administration, the FCC is expected to take it very seriously. Last month, FCC Chairman Michael Powell stressed that "law enforcement access to IP-enabled communications is essential" and that police must have "access to communications infrastructure they need to protect our nation." 

I won't be voting for bush :/

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    ugh. bunch of goose-steppers...

Patriot Act, my ass. if people these days acted like our original patriots did, the FBI would label 'em as subversive and then wiretap 'em.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    The Land of the Free(ish)

This, however, effects everyone.

I cant see there being 2 different clients in use depending upon where on the planet you live....

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    I got this FBI guy sleeping on my couch, I think that is a bit much.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    i got one in my shower. i dunno how he expects me to bathe without touching my "naughty" parts, but he always yells at me & threatens to send me to guantanamo bay if i touch 'em. you'd think they would find something more important for him to do, but i guess somebody decided that this is a top priority.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    muchspl2
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." – Thomas Jefferson

and this will just a make it easier for hackers to gain entry

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    h1
    Our beautiful USA PATRIOT act at work...

Unfortunately, most of the uneducated sheep that qualify as voters do not understand this. As long as Bush pulls Osama out of a hole two weeks before elections, he'll get in.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    In the UK Production Orders and Search Warrants can be made which forces ISPs to provide all data on what users have been doing. Basically if it's available to the ISP it is available to law enforcement. They can do it to your bank account and phone, so why not your interweb access. It is no more intrusive.

I very much doubt that this would not also be available realtime. It is entirely feasible and as long as a judge agrees it then no problem. I believe though that, for this type of thing it would be The Secretary of State in England and Wales, The Justice Minister in Scotland.

I am surprised that Law Enforcement do not have these types of powers in the US. They will be passed, under the argument that they are essential in the fight against terrorism. It is a great time for Law Enforcement to get new powers.

Oh did you know that the location of your mobile phone can be traced really accurately, to within a few feet. See it connects to masts and as such you only need two to let you know where it is. Three is much more accurate though. Works in the same way as GSP. You don't even need to be using it, just have it switched on and they can find it is seconds.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    h1
    But is already in place.

How many of you have heard of the Tempest project?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by haxor41789@15 March 2004 - 01:41
    But is already in place.

How many of you have heard of the Tempest project?
    Not me, could you elucidate please ?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast