Thread: Sygate Firewall Attacks

i dont know if this happens to anyone else but surprising in the last 24 hours i have had about 40 'critical' attempts on my pc according to sygate; intrusion detected and active response. i mean i have never had this before so many times. before it was a few times in a week. should i be scared about this and make evasive manoeuvres or just sit down and wait until im conquered by the enemy.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I'm getting a lot of minor attacks lately.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by the mask@15 March 2004 - 01:27
    i dont know if this happens to anyone else but surprising in the last 24 hours i have had about 40 'critical' attempts on my pc according to sygate; intrusion detected and active response. i mean i have never had this before so many times. before it was a few times in a week. should i be scared about this and make evasive manoeuvres or just sit down and wait until im conquered by the enemy.
    scottwile, here on the forums get's a critical attack every 15 seconds consistantly
    he has just over 4000 critical attacks, in his security log (1 day)
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Wow 4000 attacks.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    a lot of ppl, misunderstand what a lot of these attacks are

some can be auto upload software trying to check its version, some can be just normal router traffic and isp connection traffic

if you have a few programs installed with atuo update features you should get quite a few knocks on the door

norton a/v will check its software at least everyday if not more, as well as windows updater

its more important to recognise numerous attacks from one source, as this will eithr be a deliberate attack ( hack ), dos ( denial of service ) attack or a trojan, and thats what you need to defend yourself against

even that annoying windows messenger service popup window that come up is seen as an attack, but its just spam

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    I get port scan attack every x min. Like delphin460 mentioned, not all of these attacks are real attacks, like someone trying to scan for proxies could be seen as port scanner.
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Use Sygate&#39;s Advanced Options to block the IP. Ensure you backtrace the IP and run a whois to make sure it&#39;s not something you&#39;re running yourself.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    I did, but the IP is changing (changes everytime you open/close internet). I can&#39;t block the first blocks of the ip, because the person is from my ISP. Backtracing showed no resluts, since he/she scans and turns off computer. changing ips are not included in the whois db.
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::