Thread: Transferring From Audio Cassette -> Cd

Hello all,
    I am not sure if a similar problem has been posted before. If it is please direct me there.

I am trying to convert few old cassettes to audio cd. I had read here first. For some reason it has too much noise while recording.

I downloaded Sonic SoundForge. I am obviously not good at it. Tried removing noise through Noise Gate by setting it to 40 db. I am not sure about that either. Can someone guide me through removing this noise.
    Its just too much, you can hardly hear the words.

Also, if any other software etc. is needed which is simpler.

Thanks in advance!
    I.am
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

2. Music   -   #2
    ok first of all, depending on the noise on the tape, you might be able to fix it a bit

if the noise is real high then forget it, any of the noise redeuction programs will just about stuff the file trying to fix it

but try something like cool edit 2000 with the noise reduction plugin and pop and crackle eliminator

the niose gate you mentioned will do nothing as its the wrong thing , all a gate does is shut of the signal if the db gets below a certain level and so you get silence instead of hiss, this is no good for what you want cause it kills everything below the level

the other thing you could try is use the equiliser and reduce some of the high end frequencies, and see if it reduces the hiss when recording

3. Music   -   #3
    I followed the tech tv procedure for the signal input? Is there a better way?
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

4. Music   -   #4
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Not sure about the software you&#39;re using but check the line-in levels - there should be some sort of graph that starts moving up and down (or left and right) when the music starts playing. Make sure these levels stay in the top end of the green and don&#39;t go into the red, as this will distort the sound.

Hope that makes sense.

5. Music   -   #5
    Thanks Skillian&#33; But that didnt do much&#33; I am guessing there might be a better way to connect the audio...any thoughts? anyone?

6. Music   -   #6
    Only thing I can think of is make sure you&#39;ve plugged the audio into the line-in socket, not the mic socket.

7. Music   -   #7
    Thanks for all the help Skillian&#33;
    It works pretty well now...I was trying it with my laptop and I didnt have line-in in the laptop so was using mic as an input. Shifted the stereo to desktop and works like a charm&#33;

I.am

8. Music   -   #8
    No probs. Glad you got it working right B)