Thread: Large Video Files

Poster
    I have a few video files which are just too large to put onto CD - can anyone advise me what to do about it?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    muchspl2
    how big ?
    easy video splitter

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    Ranging from 704mb to 800+mb
    Am looking for a free splitter if possible, cheapskate that I am but cannot find any on Kazaa

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    muchspl2
    thats what I thought
    kvcd can be burned as high as 825 +/- mb's on 700mb cdr with over burn
    and normal avi can be fit up to 720mb's on standard 700mb cdr with over burn
    common for people to think it will not fit but no downloaded movies have to be cut/split

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Thanks a load muchspl2, but I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this kind of thing.
    Can you explain kvcd and overburn? When I try writing the large files using Nero - it says not enough space on disc.
    Cheers

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    muchspl2
    file->preferences->expert features-> check "enable overburn"

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Overburn is an option in nero, basically it allows a little more stuff to be put on cds than normal. It does warn that it *may* damage your burner, although i've done it plenty of times without problems - although i find its best to use Nero Cd Speed (comes with some versions of nero) to determine how much extra space you can fit on a CD (ie how much you can over burn it)

You might want to check up some stuff on the model of your burner to see if anyone has had problems over burning with it.

Most CDs available now are 700 MB (80 min cds), however it is possible to get CDs that are 800 MB (90 min) CDs. I think you still need to use the overburn option in nero though - and again, check if your burner model to see if it will write 90 min cds - although i suspect almost all burners that aren't heaps old will do this. The 90 min cds cost a bit more, and aren't always easy to find. but it can save you the trouble of having to store a movie file on two separate cds.

Or get a DVD burner. Here in Australia they've finally come down a lot in price. I pad AU$ 195 for mine. It can burn CDs too, and blank DVDs are now cheap enough that they compare well in price to ordinary blank CDs. With a DVD you could probably fit 5 of those size movie files on it.

Hope that helps.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    h1
    Click on the links in muchspl2's sig for more info.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Thanks a lot for all your help guys. Will try it out sometime! Cheers

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    b4icu's Avatar Greater Demon
    If the video files are well above the maximum for Overburning, there are 2 options i would recommend as well.

1. use a program called VirtualDub to trim the opening/closing credits (can shave off 5-40 MB, depending on length)

2. use Dr. DivX, a video compression program. It slightly lowers the video/audio quality (and reduces viewable dimensions), but can change your 955MB whopper into a tidy 695MB jewel!
    Never miss a good chance to shut up