Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Pc Restarts On Its Own... :(

Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Turn off the 'Automatic Restart' feature in Windows.

Start>Control Panel>Switch to Classic View>System>Advanced>Startup and Recovery - Settings. Remove the checkmark from [ ] Automatically restart and click ok.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    There are two possibilities:
    Either the hardware (or power) is unstable and is simply rebooting the machine
    Or Windows is detecting a problem which means it cannot continue.

The first will be very difficult to detect, and is also the least likely, so ignore that possibility for the moment.

Assuming you are using win2k or XP, the default is for the system to automatically restart after such a crash. This is useful if critical software restarts after a reboot, but it doesn't help in finding the problem.

To find out if this is the cause, you need to turn off auto restart.

Go to Settings, Control Panel, System.
    Select the Advanced tab and click Settings in the Startup and Recovery box.
    In the System Failure box uncheck Automatically Restart, then click OK to confirm your changes.

If the problem is detected by windows, then the next time it happens you will see what is known as a "Blue Screen Of Death", but this time your system will not restart and you can make a note of the details. Ideally you should make a note of everything, but in the first instance it will probably be enough to make a note of the first couple of lines, particularly the one that starts **STOP**.

With this info there is a good chance of finding what is causing the problem.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    i did the online Panda scan and it found a virus called Netskey.D (something like that - and i know its a newer version of the mydoom virus...).
    So, i wonder if THAT was the cause of the restarting...?

Rafi

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    ive turned off system restart... lets hope this does the trick...

Rafi

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by tralalala@15 March 2004 - 10:26
    ive turned off system restart... lets hope this does the trick...

Rafi
    that wont actually stop it from restarting its just going to make a blue screen come up instead of a restart, you can then tell us the error code on that blue screen.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    ive done an online Panda scan and it found a Netskey.D virus... could that be the cause?

havent seen it restart yet though...

Rafi

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by tralalala@15 March 2004 - 10:09
    ive done an online Panda scan and it found a Netskey.D virus... could that be the cause?

Rafi
    It sure can.

But more likely a driver issue.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+15 March 2004 - 18:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 15 March 2004 - 18:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tralalala@15 March 2004 - 10:09

Rafi
    It sure can.

But more likely a driver issue. [/b][/quote]
    what do you mean by "driver issue"??

Rafi

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    I used to have exactly the same problem damn pain in the ass it was too, It turned out my wirless usb network adaptor was causing it.
    I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, so me downloading it for free isn't losing them any money.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by tralalala+15 March 2004 - 15:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tralalala @ 15 March 2004 - 15:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@15 March 2004 - 18:21
    <!--QuoteBegin-tralalala
    @15 March 2004 - 10:09

Rafi

It sure can.

But more likely a driver issue.
    what do you mean by "driver issue"??

Rafi [/b][/quote]
    He means a driver with a bug in it.

It could even be a driver you are not actually using, but is loaded because windows thinks you MIGHT use it.

Example: a friend of mine has a pci graphics card, but the mobo drivers include the AGP port drivers. When this driver is halted (at shutdown) it fails because there is no AGP card, resulting in BSOD. Auto restart made the system start back up again, which was annoying since clean shutdown was almost impossible. Simply disabling the driver cured the problem.

In other cases you may need to get updated drivers.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast