Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot Problems

When i power on my PC everything powers up but the PC does not boot until i pres the reset button

when i remove the power connector from my 120GB primary HD (a few month old) everything boots up ok first time

i have a Gigabyte GA7 VR mobo
    AMD 2100+ Athlon XP
    MSI Geforce FX 5600 256MB
    512 MB Ram
    2 HD
    1 DVD
    1 CDRW
    300W PSU
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    check BIOS and make sure that the bios are set to boot from the hard drive with your operating system before the one having problems. i would put the boot order into this order.

floppy drive first (if any)
    then cd-rom drive second
    and your hard drive with the Operating system is last.

incase your bios sets up by selecting ide0, ide 1, ide 2, ide 3. IDE 0 will be your master primary drive (most liekly one with OS on it), slave primary will be ide1, master secondary wil be ide2, slave secondary will be ide3. you will have to check where each of your drive are hooked up on your IDE cables tro know which is primary secondary master's and slave's, etc.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    i dont even get to the bios or post, the screen just stays in standby mode and i dont get any bios beeps
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by ObiWan@17 March 2004 - 15:09
    i dont even get to the bios or post, the screen just stays in standby mode and i dont get any bios beeps
    oh i c, your power supply might not be a high enough wattage. try unplugging a cd-rom drive or floppy drive and then turn it on and see if it posts.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+17 March 2004 - 14:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 17 March 2004 - 14:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ObiWan@17 March 2004 - 15:09
    oh i c, your power supply might not be a high enough wattage. try unplugging a cd-rom drive or floppy drive and then turn it on and see if it posts. [/b][/quote]
    This happened to me before, changing out the power supply fixed it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    i think i&#39;ll try changing the PSU

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by ObiWan@17 March 2004 - 15:41
    i think i&#39;ll try changing the PSU
    just try unplugging the cd-rom drives and see if it works like that, if so get a higher wattage PSU. BUT TEST IT BEFORE YOU GO OFF TO BUY SO YOU DONT WASTE UR MONEY&#33;

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    will do, besides i will just borrow a PSU to test it before buying one

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by ObiWan@17 March 2004 - 15:57
    will do, besides i will just borrow a PSU to test it before buying one
    ok, im just looking out for ya, didnt want you to buy a psu and then find out that wasnt the problem (but i think it is)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    There&#39;s normally an option for hard drive boot delay in the BIOS.
    I don&#39;t think it&#39;s your problem, but it wouldn&#39;t hurt to set this to 1 or 2 seconds just to see if it&#39;s because the drive&#39;s a bit slow starting up - mind you, if it is slow starting, I&#39;d say there was a problem with it.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast