Thread: Possible Virus

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    My dad's comp has this mysterious file that actually has the same name as a video file he has on his comp, but the original video was only 100mb and this copied one is like 18gb!! He already has fully updated Norton Antivirus 2003, and I've scanned for viruses with both Norton and The Cleaner 4 (which i recently found out about). If i try to get the properties of the file, the CPU starts to run at 100% and doesnt absolutely nothing.. i mean i left it on for 3 hours even. I also tried going into safemode and deleteing the file, BUT it still dont @#$%* delete and says something is useing the bastard! NOTHING IS USEING THAT DAMN FILE!! Diskeeper reports it to be extremely fragmented and it takes up like 15% fragmentation on his whole 80gb hd.(which is new and never had any problems)

Soo.. is there a way to force the file to delete?
    The video was something we pulled off the video camera, BUT we've pull off like tons of videos and they were all compressed into a small format, plus they only save to a certain folder. This mysterious video was in his "My Music" folder for some reason.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Sounds like he saved his video as an uncompressed avi (no codec) which is why it's so huge. And the problem deleting it is the same one everyone with XP has - it's trying to read the file properties. If you highlight the file then wait a long while, you should eventually be able to delete it.

To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B 3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    h1
    Go to Start -> Run and type "cmd," and then type "cd [directory file is in]." Type "del/s [file name]," then type "exit."

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    This may send the "experts" round here into fits of laughter, but I recent;ly had a very similar problem. Nothing would delete a video file and nothing would open it. I eventually put it into a folder on its own then went up the tree a level and deleted the folder. Voila it worked.
    Hope that helps.
    Now everyone can laugh.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by haxor41789@15 March 2004 - 16:24
    Go to Start -> Run and type "cmd," and then type "cd [directory file is in]." Type "del/s [file name]," then type "exit."
    that worked, thanks

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    h1
    NP.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    You can as well use Nero's Browser to delete it, works 99% of the time

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by DWk@15 March 2004 - 23:55
    You can as well use Nero's Browser to delete it, works 99% of the time
    ah clever.