Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice On New Graphics Card

Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+16 March 2004 - 05:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 16 March 2004 - 05:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx@15 March 2004 - 23:10
    Ya my dumb ass friends mom (the one who wouldnt let me build the comp some of u may remember..lol) had some guy build them one with a faulty msi board, 512mb offbrand memory, Athlon 64 3000, and a 9800Pro and a thermaltake case which is a waste when on a budget lol...900 bux..with no HDD or optical...everything I listed is what it came with...they got there asses ripped off..and i told them to wait cuz ati is comin out with new cards and everything will go down in price alot and theres fixin to be a new case format (BTX) and everything..but they wanted to get advanced technology...when they got it a couple of months before new stuff comes out like pci express and new cards...dumbshits haha
    i remember, it pisses me off too. i hate that. lots of people are like that its just cause your young they think you cant do it. just forget it and when your older you can rip people off too haha. j/k dont rip ppl off its not nice. [/b][/quote]
    In a way, it&#39;s a good thing.

The alternative - People move away from buying stock with crap parts and start buying the parts seperately in order to build them. Large PC retailers like PC World go out of business due to their lucrative stock PC market collapsing (good thing), and people go into the parts market instead. As a result, prices in the parts market start to inflate instead

Course it isn&#39;t that good if you end up with a stock yourself But it is something to think about that those people who end up buying s**t are keeping the prices down for the rest of us

Back to the point - Thanks for the help guys Going to start looking properly at this when my IT coursework&#39;s handed in on Wednesday In the meantime, I&#39;ve been seeing mid-high end GFXs going on auctions for as low as £20-£40. Can anyone comment on the reliability of using eBay?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Reliability really depends on the seller. Check out their feedback for an idea, but there&#39;s always some risk.

Only 3 1/2 hours to go, currently at £94.

*NEW* ATI Radeon 9800 Pro w/128MB Samsung Chip RAM NoRe

I wish I had some money now, for that price I&#39;d definitely risk it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Illuminati+16 March 2004 - 06:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Illuminati @ 16 March 2004 - 06:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@16 March 2004 - 05:20
    <!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx
    @15 March 2004 - 23:10
    Ya my dumb ass friends mom (the one who wouldnt let me build the comp some of u may remember..lol) had some guy build them one with a faulty msi board, 512mb offbrand memory, Athlon 64 3000, and a 9800Pro and a thermaltake case which is a waste when on a budget lol...900 bux..with no HDD or optical...everything I listed is what it came with...they got there asses ripped off..and i told them to wait cuz ati is comin out with new cards and everything will go down in price alot and theres fixin to be a new case format (BTX) and everything..but they wanted to get advanced technology...when they got it a couple of months before new stuff comes out like pci express and new cards...dumbshits haha

i remember, it pisses me off too. i hate that. lots of people are like that its just cause your young they think you cant do it. just forget it and when your older you can rip people off too haha. j/k dont rip ppl off its not nice.
    In a way, it&#39;s a good thing.

The alternative - People move away from buying stock with crap parts and start buying the parts seperately in order to build them. Large PC retailers like PC World go out of business due to their lucrative stock PC market collapsing (good thing), and people go into the parts market instead. As a result, prices in the parts market start to inflate instead

Course it isn&#39;t that good if you end up with a stock yourself But it is something to think about that those people who end up buying s**t are keeping the prices down for the rest of us

Back to the point - Thanks for the help guys Going to start looking properly at this when my IT coursework&#39;s handed in on Wednesday In the meantime, I&#39;ve been seeing mid-high end GFXs going on auctions for as low as £20-£40. Can anyone comment on the reliability of using eBay? [/b][/quote]
    well hes got a good positivw feedback so hes probably not ripping you off. my dad and sister have bought a few things on ebay and havent been ripped off yet.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Just for ideas, I&#39;ve been having a look in my past issues of PC Gamer - Not exactly the best source for finding the best hardware (but not the worst either ), but there&#39;s one card that seems to stand out

PNY Verto GeForce FX 5200 128Mb

Glowing review from PCG UK and a few other review sites, citing it&#39;s level of performance similar to the mid-high range of the previous GeForce4 cards, it&#39;s performance again ATI&#39;s equivalents (Radeon 9000 and 9200). Not as good to be expected to run HL2 or Doom 3 at maximum (well this is a budget card ) but supposedly great surface for the price.

Originally reviewed in August at about £85 - Still remains the favourite budget card it seems, but time has taken it down to less than £60. Should be able to get it at around the 40-50 quid mark B)

Of course, it is a bit old :S Anyone got a better suggestion per chance?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    The FX200 doesn&#39;t have a good reputation. I don&#39;t even think it would really be able to run Deus Ex: Invisible War.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    dood illu- theres a pinned topic on this already my friend

next time, look b4 you ask

request sent to mods to close topic

also, google an fx5500 cuz the 5200 &#036;hits like hell

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    OFF-TOPIC
    ======================
    Look - If we in Softwareworld can deal with god knows how many "Which browser?", "Which download manager?" etc, you guys can deal with a "Which GFX card?" every now & then

Seriously though - Yep, I saw the guide before I started the topic It&#39;s pretty good - A decent amount of information collected into one topic. But it&#39;s still a bit confusing as on face value there&#39;s no way to distinguish cards apart, and it doesn&#39;t take into account the fact that manufacturers create the cards fairly differently from each other.

This topic was pretty much a case of "what level am I looking at (in terms of both cash and ability to play DX:IW)?", "what manufacturer looks to be the best to produce it (this can vary per card ), and "what&#39;s the lowest price anyone&#39;s seen it at?" If it&#39;s ended up the same as the other "which GFX" topics, I apologise - But I did try to vary it by saying what I needed it for (i.e. the ability to play DXIW)

If it&#39;s still not allowed then fine - VB, feel free to close the topic But ati, you ain&#39;t a mod so don&#39;t act like it (I&#39;ve already learnt that lesson ). If you&#39;re going to report, then just report and don&#39;t say it like a brag
    ======================
    BACK ON-TOPIC

I&#39;ve been having a look at the 5500 and it&#39;s got some decent reviews - But I can&#39;t find an online store for it anywhere Got a site that sells them ati? I need to check its price compared to FX5200s

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by Illuminati@17 March 2004 - 02:55
    This topic was pretty much a case of "what level am I looking at (in terms of both cash and ability to play DX:IW)?", "what manufacturer looks to be the best to produce it (this can vary per card ), and "what&#39;s the lowest price anyone&#39;s seen it at?"
    Reason enough to remain open; requesting specific not just in general as most are. Continue the research
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Illuminati@17 March 2004 - 04:55
    I&#39;ve been having a look at the 5500 and it&#39;s got some decent reviews - But I can&#39;t find an online store for it anywhere Got a site that sells them ati? I need to check its price compared to FX5200s
    nevermind im wrong.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+17 March 2004 - 12:26--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 &#064; 17 March 2004 - 12:26)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Illuminati@17 March 2004 - 04:55
    I&#39;ve been having a look at the 5500 and it&#39;s got some decent reviews - But I can&#39;t find an online store for it anywhere &nbsp; Got a site that sells them ati? I need to check its price compared to FX5200s
    there is no geforce FX 5500, and the latest ATI cards are all in the 9xxx numbers.

there is a 5600 by nvidia which is the next level up from a 5200. You can check out the performance increases in the pinned topic. [/b][/quote]
    there is a gfx 5500

you idiot

or buy one here

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast