Thread: Online Security Check

Poster
    hell-0 everybody,
    Almost everyone knows about the Free online security checking websites.
    I sometimes do online scanning to check my firewall for security. Guess what
    happens 2-4 day after scanning from several websites each time? I get an
    attack. Have you ever though why these companies/organizations are offering
    free online scanning?can't they attack you if they know which ports you are
    exactly using?whihc ones are open?in addition to your IP address?
    I do not think that it is just a coincidence that I get attacks 2-4 days after each
    scan. I rarely get computer attacks, but I get alot after each and every scan I
    do. The above is just my opinion and I could be not right sometimes. I just
    want to say "Be carefull", you do not know what information they are really
    keeping, when they are scanning your computer.
    have a nice day.
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Did you try norton online security check?
    Well if you want to do it manual... here are some list for online trojan attacks .

Trojan List...
    P4 2.4C / 1024M / R9600XT 128M / 80GB / 400W
    Peer-to-peer Programs...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Yes I have tried these, but nothing happens when I scan with norton/houscal or such, but it does happen with others. What I am saying that we should be more "carefull" when we are letting companies/orgz scan our comps.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BANNED
    I think your being slightly paranoid mate

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by ck&#045;uk@17 March 2004 - 03:14
    I think your being slightly paranoid mate
    Well you can hardly trust free things today.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    While I agree, that if something is "too good to be true- it usually is", I have to believe that there is alittle paranoia involved in visiting a Symantec site and thinking that they wish to invade your system after allowing one of their security scans.

Stealth firewalls do unintentionally pick-up a couple of "false-positives" now and then, as I understand it. I would rather receive the message knowing that the attempt was blocked rather than be lulled into a false sense of security. And since I do use their products, I have to believe that if they wanted into my system bad enough, they could (or any of these companies who specialize in this area) without my ever realizing their being present.

I think your luck just to be a matter of coincidence. I receive a few of these so-called "intrusion attempts" on a daily basis, myself. Some are most likely legitimate while I have to believe that others are indeed false-positives. And of the legit ones, I am thinking that the software is doing it&#39;s job, cloaking my ports by not responding to probes (of which I think there is an incredible rise in overall internet hacking these days, IMO) in the first place.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    What you are saying is right. Firewalls are not 100% accurate. Same thing applies to Antivirus software.
    I think that companies want to show us that their software products work by several means, even if it involves sending small portscan attacks. Companies, such as Symantic and Mcafee will not benifit from invading your whole computer and breaking into it, they can do that even with 999 firewalls installed, but they want to show that their software works by these scans. What makes me suspect is that some companies are only specialized in frre online scanning.
    Anyways, it is better than our firewalls are doing it&#39;s job. Even if the alert was false, it is better than nothing at all
    I noticed that viruses and attacks are growing very numeruos two weeks after the windows 2000/nt sourc code was leaked, just saying, it might be not related.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by supersonic@16 March 2004 - 21:47
    What you are saying is right. Firewalls are not 100% accurate. Same thing applies to Antivirus software.
    I think that companies want to show us that their software products work by several means, even if it involves sending small portscan attacks. Companies, such as Symantic and Mcafee will not benifit from invading your whole computer and breaking into it, they can do that even with 999 firewalls installed, but they want to show that their software works by these scans. What makes me suspect is that some companies are only specialized in frre online scanning.
    Anyways, it is better than our firewalls are doing it&#39;s job. Even if the alert was false, it is better than nothing at all
    I noticed that viruses and attacks are growing very numeruos two weeks after the windows 2000/nt sourc code was leaked, just saying, it might be not related.
    You need to be able to determine false input from your log files.

And most if not all thoose sites will tell you with a disclaimer before you even scan that you may receive such attempts perceived as "attacks" to you in your log files.

This is primarily because software based firewalls and what not are basically crap IMO.

And the reason that some companies specialize in that only is because not everyone knows how to scan their own computer, just as you do not know how to distinguish false-positives and real attacks.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    LMAO I was n&#39;t talking about the attacks DURING the scan, but 2-4 days AFTER the scans, lol.