Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dawn Of The Dead (10 Min Preview)

Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I have to say I was dubious when they announced a remake to this film (it's not often you hear of them remaking a sequel&#33. But after having watched the first ten mins I was quite impressed, looks like they've taken the 28 Days Later zombie idea and ditched the shuffling around slowly zombies.

Hopefully the rest of the film will match up to the first 10 minutes...(having said that though the beginning of 28 Days Later was great but it slowly got worse&#33

Any comments?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    it could be good
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Azzz@16 March 2004 - 22:00
    it could be good
    Startling insight there Azzz.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    Originally posted by Withcheese+16 March 2004 - 22:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 16 March 2004 - 22:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Azzz@16 March 2004 - 22:00
    it could be good&nbsp;
    Startling insight there Azzz. [/b][/quote]

heres another one:

It might be Ok
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    a must see

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Christ it&#39;s like a lounge rats convention in here...I came here to get away from you guys.

Anyhow, I&#39;ve always been a big fan of the Romero Trilogy so it will be very interesting to see how well it translates today. The "old" three are starting to look very dated when you compare the effects to today&#39;s films but the story (alway the important bit) was both engaging and thought provoking.

I hope the remake can incorprate a lot of what the original did and maybe come up with some new ideas, hopefully it won&#39;t be just another horror movie like all the rest.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    well... now that Night Of The Living Dead and Dawn Of The Dead have both been remade, i&#39;d really like to see DAY OF THE DEAD get remade someday. out of the original three, that was the one that had the most problems, specifically the script having to be heavily changed to accomadate the budget-- there&#39;s a pretty big gap between what george romero had wanted Day Of The Dead to be, and what actually got filmed.

Night Of The Living Dead was just about perfect, Dawn Of The Dead was really good despite some minor probs with the pacing and the acting (i think dario argento&#39;s european edit was a bit more tightly edited)... Day Of The Dead is the one that has the most room for improvement in a bigger budget remake.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    @3RA1N1AC: I&#39;d be interested to know what Romero left out of Day of the Dead to make allownances for the budget. I liked the film but always felt it was missing something.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Originally posted by Withcheese@17 March 2004 - 04:07
    @3RA1N1AC: I&#39;d be interested to know what Romero left out of Day of the Dead to make allownances for the budget.&nbsp; I liked the film but always felt it was missing something.
    the original script, before finances became an issue, went something like this--

film opens in florida, titles indicate that 5 years have passed since the dead first became reanimated. i always got the impression that it was more like 1 or 2 years, just with an inexplicable jump forward in terms of costumes, buildings, cars, etc due to romero not being able to make the sequels "period films" set in the late 60s. but the script says 5. oh well. on a boat dock, a group of survivors narrowly escape from a fight with zombies & another group of humans, and they sail away in the boat. one of the survivors dies from his wounds (inflicted in the earlier fight), and there&#39;s a bit of zombie action during the boat trip. the boat arrives at a tropical island, where a group of soldiers, scientists and civilians live in a camp surrounded by a fence to keep the zombies out.

the elites and soldiers live in a cushy underground bunker, and the average joes are kept in a dismal area just inside of the fence. they are making pretty good headway in their zombie training program-- they dress the zombies in one color and train them pavlovian-style to not harm humans, who wear a different color. the lead scientist has the zombies on a strict diet of alligator meat, but the lead soldier is secretly undermining that by feeding human flesh to the star "students." the newcomers and the regular people decide they&#39;re fed up with the soldiers and plan to blow up the camp&#39;s armory and escape. but in order to get out, they have to open the fence and let the zombies in. mayhem ensues, the "Bub" character gets revenge on the lead army guy, and the remaining "good guys" escape to another island. on the way, they find a corpse that has failed to return from the dead, and when they get to the next island another person dies and stays dead, suggesting that the plague is coming to an end.

romero originally was offered a budget of something like &#036;7 million dollars, on the stipulation that he deliver an R-rated movie (to receive an NC-17 or no rating at all is equivalent to death at the box office, of course). he did not see how he could aim for an R-rating and still get the script onto film intact, he refused to soften it up, so the producers cut the budget in half. he could make it however he wanted, but for only half as much money... so in effect, he couldn&#39;t make the movie he wanted, and had to rewrite the script. if the original script had been filmed, it would&#39;ve had nicer props and locations, a much stronger focus on the "domestication" angle, and i think the monsters would&#39;ve gotten more screen time.

the finished film basically replaces a lot of the action and scenery with characters yelling at each other, and generally hanging out & not doing much. i do like Day Of The Dead for what it is... it&#39;s very cynical and claustrophobic, but it doesn&#39;t have the wider scope that the original script envisioned. it&#39;s less "Apocalypse Now With Zombies," and more "Milling Around In Hallways, Waiting For The Zombies To Show Up And Eat Us." similar themes, similar characters, but still a very different movie.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Thanks for that 3RA1N1AC, that&#39;s some interesting stuff there. It&#39;s a shame that they couldn&#39;t just let Romero make the film he wanted and to hell with the rating, but I supppose a lot of directors are hampered by this sort of constraint.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head for Day of the Dead, there was a lot of yelling in that film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast