Thread: Whats A Good App For...

Poster
    what is a really good program to convert records to CD my mum wants me to go through her collection so it has to be really easy and quick to use, and will i need any additional H/W or can i just use audio in??

Thanks in advance

I was thinking of getting this...

Creative Labs SoundBlaster MP3+. £39.99
    Easy to install, USB audio upgrade for the PC or laptop.
    USB powered.
    Lightweight and portable design.
    Optical and coaxial inputs/outputs.
    Software included to create MP3s from your external audio sources, such as tape or vinyl.
    Headphone and microphone jacks.
    Audio clean-up, track tagging volume equalising and audio effects software included.

Is it worth it???

Some1 suggested just getting Microsoft plus Digital Media Edition £19.99
    which is the best option???

Thanks again
    <span style='font-family:Times'><span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>My Pc Specs Are
    Windows FD (thanks M8)
    Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz
    512Mb DDR
    Seagate ST3120023A 120Gb
    ATi RADEON 9000 Series 64Mb
    Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105
    IDE DVD-Rom 16X
    Medion Connect XL CardReader
    Cable Modem ½ Mb</span></span></span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    You don&#39;t need any special hardware to convert vinyl to digital.

You need a turntable connected to a stereo.

You need to connect the audio out(white/left & red/right) from the stereo to the "line in" of your PC. (every PC has a "line in")

You will need a cable to do this. It will have a phono mini jack on one end and red/white RCA type jacks on the other. Here in the US Radioshack sells them cheaply. (here&#39;s what they offer)

You will need software to record("rip") the analog audio and convert it to digital.
    I used MusicMatch to do this. It was fairly intuitive to use and allows you to pick the type of format(mp3 or wav).
    Ripping into a wav format is best since the audio is uncompressed. Obviously ripping to the mp3 format creates a compressed audio file which you will uncompress to create a CD(not recommend).

That&#39;s it in a nutshell. There are other pieces of software that will essentially do the same thing but may or may not suit your aptitude. You may have to fiddle with the "line-in" audio levels to get it right but that&#39;s part of the fun&#33;

p.s. keep your cables as short as possible & away from power cords to avoid interference(humming).

Good luck with it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    this is my dads specialty he&#39;s done lots of vinyl my I suggest pyro cakewalk 2003 to remove pops and hisses basicaly he uses a turntable into a mixer ..then mixer into computer...the problem with stereo is the tape output is to high and its not adjustable ..although you can put the mixer between the tape output and the computer..that way you can hear what your doing with the stereo ..My dad suggest you save each song as a separate file..GOOD LUCK..

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Thank you for your help
    <span style='font-family:Times'><span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>My Pc Specs Are
    Windows FD (thanks M8)
    Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz
    512Mb DDR
    Seagate ST3120023A 120Gb
    ATi RADEON 9000 Series 64Mb
    Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105
    IDE DVD-Rom 16X
    Medion Connect XL CardReader
    Cable Modem ½ Mb</span></span></span>