Thread: Whats Good About Tft?

Poster
    is there anything better than CRT other than theyre thin?
    A good game is still good if its late, a bad game is bad forever, Shigeru Miyamoto

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    probably the only things better are:

they are thin (like you said) so they dont take up much room on a desk

and

they dont use too much power...my samsung 17"crt uses 90watts, a samsung 19" LCD uses 45watts.

...TFT's are LCD's right?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    think so.
    A good game is still good if its late, a bad game is bad forever, Shigeru Miyamoto

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    yes they are

i think generally their picture is sharper and there's no refresh rate or so its not so bad on the eyes (that's just an educated guess actually, am i right?)
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by DarthInsinuate@17 March 2004 - 21:36
    yes they are

i think generally their picture is sharper and there's no refresh rate or so its not so bad on the eyes (that's just an educated guess actually, am i right?)
    From my experience, the picture on TFTs is actually more blurry than CRTs, the refresh rate is lower, so it's sorer on the eyes and the screen gets very warm after prolonged usage.
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by DarthInsinuate@17 March 2004 - 17:36
    yes they are

i think they do have a refresh rate because people are always saying they dont refresh fast enough to play games on them....but that might just be the bulb refresh rate, im not sure.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    TFT stands for thin film transistor.

An LCD is a passive display device. It doesn't produce any light. There is a light behind the screen(er, so to speak). The pixels are either "on" or "off"(like a shutter). It's this slow reaction that causes video and intense graphics to look blurry. Manufacturers are trying to remedy this by increasing the voltage supplied to the TFTs. But this can bring about new problems.

A CRT is an active display as it actually creates light. This is why it is much brighter than any LCDs currently being manufactured and why images don't blur.

If you are into gaming or video watching/editing, than a CRT monitor is the only way to go. LCD monitors save space and look cool.

my 2 cents...

peace

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    it's just my monitor then - compared to my brother's TFT it's dim and blurry
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants