Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proxies

I went to the proxies section, but I don't understand what it is. Are these the Proxy Servers that will protect my IP from the RIAA/MPAA? Have these been checked out to make sure they're not the ones run by the RIAA/MPAA? How do I use them? Are they like the same thing as AnonX?

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    I don't know.

But I do know that these proxies are just as good if not better:Click me

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    h1
    Proxies act as a median between you and computers you connect to. So if you use a proxy in Algeria, the RIAA will leave you alone.

You should know though that complete anonymity is nothing but a paranoid delusion.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by DWells55@21 March 2004 - 20:48
    I went to the proxies section, but I don't understand what it is.  Are these the Proxy Servers that will protect my IP from the RIAA/MPAA?  Have these been checked out to make sure they're not the ones run by the RIAA/MPAA?  How do I use them?  Are they like the same thing as AnonX?
    --self explanatory

As long as the proxies are anonymous and not transparent you should be ok. Also with a little social engineering the admin/admins of a site you visit may be able to get some info on you from another sysadmin. An email requesting the logs, etc.

For example:

Let's say you know a site is based in the U.S. or U.K., whenever possible try using a proxy server from a country where they don't even speak the language. That way any request or attempts to find out who you really are or came from will be pretty hard unless there is a translator nearby.

j/k...........I doubt that would work but better safe then sorry

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    Okay, how would I set this up so that the RIAA/MPAA/Video Game Industry? would not be able to see my real IP and catch me downloading and sharing on BitTorrent? How would I set this up?

Would this be a good proxy for me to use?
    218.216.148.17--------8080--------high anonymity--------Japan--------2004-03-21

Edit: I have a home network with my and 2 other PCs hooked up and a PS2 hooked up to a router. Would the proxy affect them or just my computer (don't care about the others)? Also, will I have to configure my router?

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    BANNED
    i wanna know too

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    I have a problem with the proxies listed on this site.
    I set up a proxy setting in firefox, as shown in shn's screenshot, but when I go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ I see that my IP address is still the same as the one that's assigned to me by my ISP.

I thought that if I use a proxy, it should change my IP address into the IP address of the proxy? Or have I misunderstood?

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Sparkle1984@22 March 2004 - 17:12
    I have a problem with the proxies listed on this site.
    I set up a proxy setting in firefox, as shown in shn's screenshot, but when I go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ I see that my IP address is still the same as the one that's assigned to me by my ISP.

I thought that if I use a proxy, it should change my IP address into the IP address of the proxy? Or have I misunderstood?
    Not all proxies are anonymous - you should use anonymous proxies. I also noticed that most port 80 proxies are not very anonymous - on the other hand most proxies using port 8080 are anonymous.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    OK thanks for explaining that. I've found an anonymous one which works for me now.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    BANNED
    some anoynimous proxies work great, while other suck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast